Hefeweizen Recipe check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wszarejko

Reaction score
Hi. This is my first hefeweizen that I'm going to attempt to brew and was wondering if I can have somebody check the recipe. I'm brewing with a 10gal home depot water cooler as mash tun and have a 10 gallon boil kettle.

Aim is for 5.5gal Batch. Here's how I figured out water needs.

22qts batch size
5.5 qts grain absorption
2qts dead space
6qts boil off (60 min boil)
.5qts trub loss
.8qts wort shrinkage

Total water needed 36.8qts = 9.2gal

6.75lbs wheat malt
4.25lbs Pils
1lb rice hulls
1oz Tettnanger Boil (60min)
Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat @ 64 degrees

MasH
112 deg (Ferulic Acid 20 min) - 10.20qts @ 120.7 F (.85 qts/lb)
122 deg (Protein Rest 25 min) - 1.4qts @ Boiling (.97 qts/lb)
148 deg (Sacch Rest 25 min) - 5.7qts @ Boiling (1.44 qts/lb)
Batch Sparge @ 170 - 4.875gal

Any thoughts? Will the wort get too thin? I've heard decoction is a good way to go, but I'm not entirely confident in the process and have heard that it is a bit more advanced?

Thanks!
Wes

The grain bill looks pretty a-ok to me! I like to add a late hop addition as well, just to get some hop character in the taste, but it's not totally necessary.

Decoction is kinda a pain in the ass haha. I like doing it for my hefe (it's been a while and I don't remember what steps I typically do). If it's your first hefe, you might be better off doing a typical single infusion mash, as you may be perfectly happy with the results and save yourself some time and effort on brew day. The vast majority do a single infusion for their hefes. Personally, I prefer the decoction version of mine over the single infusion version. Just have to give both a try and see what you prefer. Plus.. it's kinda cool to say you've done a decoction :D

Grain bill looks good, though Ive found 0.25-0.5 lb of rice hulls is all I need for a similarly sized batch. I also add about 0.5lb of acidulated malt to help keep pH lower.

Do a decoction, it isn't hard, it adds about 30-40min and it really does take a hefe to the next level. You have ferulic acid rest and protein rest, which in my experience can be removed when you do a decoction. Ive done single infusion, step mashing (ferulic/protein) and nothing compares quite like a decoction.

Here is how I decoction mash my hefe:

Mash at 135f for 10 min then pull the decoction out, 1.5 gal of grain with a strainer and 1 gal of grist (grain/liquid), raise decoction mash temp to 155f (10min), hold at 155f for 10 min, then raise decoction mash temp to boil (10min), and remain at boil for 15 min. Stirring the decoction for 15 mikes isn't hard. Then add decoction to main mash, which will mash at about 155f for another 25 min. Im looking at a 80 min mash including the single decoction. Ive done a couple double decoctions and they do add another 40-60 min, though I have found a single decoction will work for anything I brew which can benefit from a decoction.

Edit: forgot to mention that your ferm temp at 64F will be spot on. Ive had the best results from 63-65f ferm temps.

Last edited:
A lot of different recipes have people prefer decoction. I guess it's just more intimidating than it sounds haha. I'll give it a whirl

Back