Hefeweizen homebrew question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riddick

Reaction score
I have a question about a hefeweizen homebrew. I have travelled and met a large number of germans in my life who swear by hefe's, they fancy themselves experts of the beer. THey ALL swear that in bottles you need to either roll it or swirl the remains at the bottom to get the cake at the bottom into the beer.

With homebrew hefeweizen, do you still do the same? Most people discard the bottom of the bottles because its trub, but would you swirl it around for a hefe?

Trub isn't necessarily what you get at the bottom of a bottle, but what's left on the bottom of your fermenter after fermentation is complete... unless your bottling process isn't so clean. It's made up of fats and proteins, whereas that layer on the bottom of a bottle is *mostly* yeast. Rolling a bottle of Hef prior to consumption is common practice and can most certainly be done with homemade versions. Cheers!

Definitely!! The sediment at the bottom is almost all yeast and wheat proteins, and a Hefe just isn't a Hefe without those elements flavoring the beer. You definitely want to get that sediment into supension before drinking!

Yes, you do want to roll it around and get that yeasty quality in the beer. In fact, I find that this can really enhance the flavor when you do it with Belgian Witbiers and other such beers where the yeast plays an important role in characterizing the flavor too.

I just made a hefe and I didnt roll it and it turned out great I think ill try the roll on my next batch of hefe

Back