Hefeweizen 2 Part Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gweim

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a BSG Craftbrewing kit? My LHBS was selling the Bavarian Hefeweizen kit that they sample all the time and it's really good so I picked one up. I tried to look online about the kit after I got it but found nothing.

Second, yesterday was day 4 of fermentation and airlock activity had stopped after 3 days so I took a gravity reading. FG should be 1.012 and it was 1.018. Close enough? I want to bottle this weekend so it could drop but if it stays there is that fine?

I also taste tested of course and the smell was just what is want but the taste was very vinegary. Will this drop out in the next few days and in bottles? Hoping it doesn't signal something worse.

Thanks for the help.

If you want bottle bombs 1.018 is right on. You will need to let this fermentation continue. The SG will continue to drop, more slowly, but it is not finished yet.
The off flavor you are getting may be cleaned up by the yeast after FG has been reached. Don't try to rush this one. Check SG in a week and have another taste.

Day 4 of fermentation? Let it sit. Beer is nothing but improved with time. Vinegar taste? I know vinegar smell can be wild yeast or lactic bacteria, but taste I'm not sure of. Let it condition out, again time, and see how it fairs. I'm sure people much more wise than I will chime in.

I agree it is still too high but even if it were to sit at 1.018 for a few more days that still warrants a bottle bomb? Target gravity of 1.012

One hefe fan to another...give that bad boy another couple WEEKS. Bottle in now and you'll be cleaning it and broken glass off the basement floor.

If you leave a beer in the fermenter for three weeks, even a hefe, even if your're at FG, you'll get noticeably better beer.

The hardest thing to learn about brewing beer is patience,\;)

Alright, I'd love to wait but I'm going to bottle this afternoon. FG is pretty much on target and this is the last time I'll get a chance to bottle for a while... LHBS said when he made it he bottled in less than a week and that turned out pretty good.

I'll update if something goes extremely wrong ha

Back