Hefe Yeast for Ales????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably nothing. your beer might be a bit cloudier than if you had used a typical ale yeast, you might get some banana or clove esters from the hefe yeast depending on ferm temp. But, probably nothing. Go for it.

I have to say, that's a very strange way to phrase your question...

I guess my answer would be to follow up with a similar question: why do you WANT to use a hefe yeast in an amber ale? If you're feeling experimental, great, but if you're doing it only because you don't have any other yeast, you'd be much better off picking up some dry yeast.

The potential downside, as blacklab said, would be getting esters in a beer style that may not really suit it. I once tried an IPA that had banana aromas in it, and it was disgusting. I have no idea if they'd suit an Amber Ale any better, but as it's homebrewing, I think you should experiment and report back on how it tastes.

Sounds lke something that might be interesting to try from an experimental stand. Like others have said, thouhg, if it's just the only yeast you have, you'd be better off getting a dry yeast or a liquid ale yeast (if time isn't a factor).

If you try it, let us know how it turns out.

The worst beer I've had that was produced by a microbrewery was an IPA-weizen. They made a hefeweizen but with the hop schedule of an IPA.

DISGUSTING*

The amber you're thinking of brewing would have some strongly conflicting hop and fruit/clove flavors. Might want to reconsider your hops and flavor profile.

Ever had leffe blond?

My friend loves it, and wanted me to try it so........she mispronounced it (saying leaf) anyways I didn't look at it close enough and put 2 and 2 together lol.

The banana esters were not as powerful as in some heffes I've had, but they were definitely there

The way the question is asked, it seems like the yeast has already been pitched and now he is hoping for a good beer....:p

Back