Hefe Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGHBrew

Reaction score
I've done three batches of Hefes over the past few months. All were 55% wheat malt, 45% pilsner malt with a 60 minute 1 oz addition of hallertau. The first batch I pitched WLP 300 Hefe Ale, second WLP 380 Hefe IV Ale, and last WLP320 American Hefe Ale. All were fermented at ~ 65F.

The first two were great, each having there unique combination of clove and banana. The third (American Hefe) however, is a little different than anticipated. The first thing that was very noticeable was the almost undetectable banana and clove notes, this was expected. The second difference was a noticeable hop flavor/ bitterness. This caught me off guard. Don't get me wrong, I like the beer, it's just not what I was expecting. After searching around here I seemed to notice most American Hefe's also contain some specialty grains. I've concluded that my lack of specialty grains led to my surprise. I was expecting to taste something, for lack of a better phrase, "similar to" SA Hefe, Harpoon UFO or Widmer Hefe. It's still a good beer, so, Cheers!:mug:

Any words of wisdom or experience?

American hefe yeast is more neutral. Harpoon UFO uses a German yeast, and Sam Adams and Widmer may as well, I don't know.

What differences did you detect between the 300 and 380? Which did you like better? I'm planning a hefeweissen soon, but was considering both yeasts.

There is going to be a world of difference between 300 and 380.

I'd suggest reading the BJCP guide to understand the basics between a Hefeweizen and American Wheat. Having that understanding, you will then recognize why the yeast performed the way it did:

Hefeweizen
American Wheat

Well the 300 and 380 are both German Hefeweissen yeasts, just different strains. You're probably thinking of the 320 which is "American Hefeweissen" strain.

I liked both the 300 and 380. The 300 definately has more banana than the 380. There are some other subtle fruity undertones with the 380 which were pretty nice.

Latest posts

Back