Heatstick build question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakedawgs

Reaction score
Building a 1500 watt, 115V heatstick for my wife's 3 gallon stove top batches.
Everything makes sense but want to make sure of the following.

As you can see in the attached pic, you can see light between the element and the pipe. When I pour in my thinned JB Weld to seal the electrical connections this will seal the gaps currently showing light.
Has anyone come up with a solution to provide a bit more sealing between the element and the pipe.

THanks
Lakedawgs

CAM00019-1.jpg

Yes, you can buy another top nut with a smaller hole that works better. Available at ACE hardware. The replacement is chrome rather than zinc and will hold up better. Only a few bucks.

1 1/2 - 1 1/4 slip nut I think it's called.

It notes that it is cast zinc with chrome plating. Am I missing something?
Just want to make sure I get the right thing.
Thanks

Yes looks good.

The last sticks I built, I just used silicone on the inside, but you must leave the end open for a week or so to let the silicone cure...also if you thin the JB weld with acetone, I would leave the end cap off the stick so any acetone will evaporate as well.

Also not a bad idea to clean surfaces with rubbing alcohol to be sure it's squeaky clean for best adhesion.

Oh, not sure but I believe the ACE hardware is brass / chrome and may hold up better than the zinc HD nut. Search around a bit...this has been discussed to death in the "heatstick awesome" thread.

I used the Home Depot nut on mine. It works fine-no problems.

I didn't use any JB weld, I just used silicone and have used them for a couple of years with no problems

Bought the HD part, looks good. Started sealing the element tonight. I have an idea for sealing that I think is very good. I will post a build thread when done. Might not be anything new, we will see.
Thanks for the help guys.
Lakedawgs

Latest posts

Back