Heating in a brewing processing room? EP?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Youth444

Reaction score
Does anyone know, that in a beer brewing & processing room, if a space heater is used.....does it need to rated: 'EXPLOSION PROOF'. I know that in flour mills it does need to be E.P.., yet uncertain about brewing facilities...home or otherwise.
So any help in this regards will be appreciated.....thank you.
Marcus

In a mill room, especially a large one, the powder is flammable.
In the fermentation area, bottling, kegging, etc areas, nothing is particularity flammable.

I doubt you will create enough grain dust crushing barley for brewing to cause an explosion issue. I run a blue flame space heater in the garage and crush 10 feet from it.

Explosion proof, or intrinsaclly safe areas, are areas classified by what's being done in that specific area. An example is class1, division 1, which is the most explosive area. Heavy acetylene fumes. Think chemical companies. The classification of the area determines the safeties/approvals the equipment must have to operate in that area. No 120VAC is allowed in a class1,div1 area because a small spark can cause an explosion. Or so they say. Low voltage, 12VDC, is acceptable if properly installed and converted from 120VAC. In a brew setting, you're out likely dealing with food production safeties, which deal more in washdown environments as opposed to explosion issues.

Back