Heating element coating question issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72westie

Reaction score
I have a quick question about my new heating elements. I purchased a 1500 and a 2000 watt Camco 120v element from Amazon. After installing them, using the Brewhardware Hot Pod enclosures, I ran a leak test and heating test on them. Boil is nice and strong, but after letting them cool down, I noticed thank the coating is flaking or just discoloration on them. They were listed as Stainless, but now I am wondering if I should just pony up and buy a new pair from Brewhardware? What's your thoughts on this?

IMG_5758.jpg

IMG_5759.jpg

Try and clean them with a scrubby pad, often mineral deposits are left on the elements. Those look like standard high watt density elements to me.

Try and clean them with a scrubby pad, often mineral deposits are left on the elements. Those look like standard high watt density elements to me.

Agreed... I like a stainless chore boy scrubber to clean mine for the big stuff. You can use the green scotch scrubber/sponge to get them sqeaky clean.

The chore boy are nice, they won't rust but are pretty coarse and will scratch your kettle. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LMPYNEK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_5hfOyb37BP3MQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Minerals. Doesn't hurt anything. Wash them off after brewing. Frankly, i dont understand the whole infatuation with SS. They are a little easier to clean, but if you want to save $, just use a home improvement store element.

Those elements don't look bad to me. Wait till you start brewing with them. They get crusted with cold break crud. No matter how hard I scrub it never comes completely off. I used to go nuts trying to clean them with dental floss now I just give them a scrub and deal with it. Hasn't seemed to affect the beer in any way.

I've been using a basic non SS element for years. No issues whatsoever so I don't get the need for a SS element either. I thought I read the housing that the element is mounted to is SS and the basic housing ones will rust. I haven't experienced any rusting at all.

Minerals. Doesn't hurt anything. Wash them off after brewing. Frankly, i dont understand the whole infatuation with SS. They are a little easier to clean, but if you want to save $, just use a home improvement store element.

But be prepared to deal with a rusty base once the zinc coating comes off and exposes the regular steel base... my first elements were from ace hardware.. When I removed them I was pretty amazed at how rusty they were especially under the nut that held them in the kettle.

Many of the HWD ones are plated copper elements and the plating flakes off rather quickly. the bases are almost all zinc plated steel.
The all stainless ones are only about $30 on ebay so its not like its a big investment to have something not rust in your beer...

I have a quick question about my new heating elements. I purchased a 1500 and a 2000 watt Camco 120v element from Amazon. After installing them, using the Brewhardware Hot Pod enclosures, I ran a leak test and heating test on them. Boil is nice and strong, but after letting them cool down, I noticed thank the coating is flaking or just discoloration on them. They were listed as Stainless, but now I am wondering if I should just pony up and buy a new pair from Brewhardware? What's your thoughts on this?

just a heads up even if the element is stainless the base is not and it will rust dont store the kettle with the lid on or leave water or liquid in it overnight.. I found this out the hard way.

Something like this would be better They are completely stainless not just the element section.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dernord-Fol...765438?hash=item5d696dd9fe:g:MJAAAOSwYIxX9A6g
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dernord-Fol...557343?hash=item3602d218df:g:YgQAAOSwnNBXW3Cl

The rusty base issue that Auggie is referring to is most common on the 220v elements. I have been using the 110v elements for years and haven't seen any rust on the bases. Perhaps I don't store them wet idk.

Mine is a 220 5500W and haven't noticed anything. He mentions under the nut that I haven't messed with nor do I plan to. Out of sight out of mind maybe but with no off flavors or rust particles I'm ok with it. If I started from scratch I might go stainless just because as mentioned its only $30 more that wont break the bank.

Brewing for a couple of hours once or twice a month isn't going to make an element rust or lead to cathodic reaction. Cheap elements spend dozens of years inside hot water heaters, 24-7-365. SS elements are good, but they are low on the $ spending tree, IMO.

Brewing for a couple of hours once or twice a month isn't going to make an element rust or lead to cathodic reaction. Cheap elements spend dozens of years inside hot water heaters, 24-7-365. SS elements are good, but they are low on the $ spending tree, IMO.

Well thats exactly what happened. A lot of people replace them because of rust. If you do a search youll see a lot of threads on it.. Thats why the stainless ones came about afterall.
This element was from my Boil kettle. the one from my HLT rusted so bad I only used it for 3 brews and replaced it with one with a brass base.

You ever see the inside of an old hot water tank? they usually have anodes as well to help.

IMG_20170212_222723046[1].jpg

cover the elements with white vinegar and let it sit over night , most of the crud will fall off . I do this with my elements and they look new even after two years of use

cover the elements with white vinegar and let it sit over night , most of the crud will fall off . I do this with my elements and they look new even after two years of use
I already replaced them with TC based elements. when I bought the steel based ones only one company had stainless based ones and they were like $80 each... I just paid $16 each for the all stainless replacements

Well thats exactly what happened. A lot of people replace them because of rust. If you do a search youll see a lot of threads on it.. Thats why the stainless ones came about afterall.
This element was from my Boil kettle.

Well, nobody ever starts a thread to discuss how non rusty their elements are, so I'm not sure of the veracity of that data set :^) I've never had a hint of rust form on any of mine.

I have enough discretionary hobby income to spend on stainless elements so I got some. They're great for brewing but if you are just starting out, or on a budget, a regular one will work just fine for a long time. Or buy the knockoffs from alibaba. Whatever floats your boat.

Well, nobody ever starts a thread to discuss how non rusty their elements are, so I'm not sure of the veracity of that data set :^) I've never had a hint of rust form on any of mine.

I have enough discretionary hobby income to spend on stainless elements so I got some. They're great for brewing but if you are just starting out, or on a budget, a regular one will work just fine for a long time. Or buy the knockoffs from alibaba. Whatever floats your boat.
The point is they do rust and a lot of people experienced it , Enough to drive the homebrewing supply market to switch to multiple stainless based ones.
And you can buy the knockoffs from ebrew, The electric brewery, spike, brewboss or brewhardware.com because they all sell the all stainless chinese camco knockoffs as well. I just chose to buy mine direct for $16 because I wanted the tri clover base and didnt want to pay $75 each. some are cheaper than others. The ones ebrew supply sells are only $4-7 each on alibaba plus shipping so its no wonder they seem to have a higher failure rate...

I used this one for more than a year. It would last 100 more. Edit, it's a $20 camco

tmp_21383-20170214_0637001132020015.jpg

I used this one for more than a year. It would last 100 more. Edit, it's a $20 camco

and that looks fine. The type of water you have can have can an effect on this as well. not everyone will have your results (or mine). tThat one of the points im trying to get across to you since your being matter a falt about it not being a real issue.. It is/ was for many people. There are a lot of guys that used to do silly things like the anodes to try to stop it and it wcould slow it down but now that the stainless elements are so cheap and common you dont see much of this being discussed anymore.

Thanks for all the replies. Trying to buy a house now, so brewing is on the back burner. I will try and clean them up and see what happens. At least the new house has a nice garage where I can finally get all my gear back in one spot.

Back