Heating Element and Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Forgive this dumb question. But, do you not have to be concerned with excessive caramelization of the sugars that are always in contact with the element when it's on? Or does it not get the "same kind of hot" as a direct fired kettle.

Seems while the general temps would not be over 212*, a mm or two around the elements would be much hotter.

Probably off base.. but it has been a question.

This does not seem to be a problem when the element is located in a reasonably large volume of wort, like a boil kettle.
In a kettle, a large amount of the heat generated by the element is released as steam.

If the wort and element are in a confined space like a RIMS tube, then there needs to be a constant flow of wort past the element or scorching can happen.

Using you theory, wouldn't the first few millimeters of a direct fired kettle also be above 212 degrees? You should clean an element after every brew, usually quite easy just using a green scotchbrite type of pad. I have always done this after a brew session, and have never noticed any difference since using propane.

I do see some darkening of wort in my kettle. Typically do 90 min boils and my finished beer is always a few SRM darker than planned . I don't taste it but is darker.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I had similar concerns so for my first electric brew, I brewed up my Cream Ale I make every summer. It has flaked corn and barley. I figured if there is any caramelization or scorching, this would be a recipe where any flaw would show as it's so low in IBU and SRM. And I am happy to say, the beer turned out to be one of my best iterations to date. My wife loves it and I am very happy with how it turned out.

Ok question about elements. I just finished my second batch and my elements are about half covered in a blackish case. The first batch after I cleaned them they were fine is this just natural over time or do I need to get some steel wool or something and go to town on them?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Forgive this dumb question. But, do you not have to be concerned with excessive caramelization of the sugars that are always in contact with the element when it's on?
No.

In fact, some of the commercial brewers who switched from direct fire gas to electric elements tell me they get less caramelization than before. Here's a quote/picture:

WingManBrewers2.jpg

"We switched from propane to electric and can now get the required permitting for our 7bbl system. I'd say the electric brewery has been great. We've seen increased efficiencies and quicker cleaning times now that we have less caramelization. We did brew a gold medal winning beer at the big brew festival in our city on our electric brewery so we're very proud of that. We've produced over 200bbls this year on the little one bbl system we have running off that control panel. Our 7bbl system arrives beginning of October and we couldn't have done it without the awesome Electric Brewery set up. So thank you. " - Ken T., WingMan Brewers, Tacoma WA

They're at http://wingmanbrewers.com/ if you want to ask directly.

Myself I brew some pretty delicate ~2 SRM light american lagers and there's zero caramelization issues.

The opposite is actually true: If you want caramelization, you may need to pull off some wort and boil it on a burner. I've had at least one brewer ask about the opposite like this.

Cheers,

Kal

How does caramelization lead to decreased efficiencies (which efficiencies?) and slower cleaning time?

I'm not sure - they're direct quotes from WingMan brewers.

Good point however - I don't see how less caramelization would result in increased efficiencies. They probably meant that going electric increased their efficiency? (I'm guessing here). I don't know their previous setup so can't comment on how cleaning is easier either.

Feel free to drop them a note and ask them directly. If you do, please post back and let us know.

Kal

I am curious whether it makes a difference using 5500w LWD instead of ULWD elements makes a difference in color.

I know people have had success with LWD, but ULWD would certainly be more forgiving. I would go that way.

Back