Heat stick for my sparge kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Al

Reaction score
So I’m trying to move my entire brewing process indoors and have a grainfather for most of the process. Bought a heat stick to supplement it because anyone who has ever tried to get a big beer to a boil on it knows it is tough on the American version. Anyway I’m thinking I should be able to get my sparge kettle heated with the heat stick to the proper temperature as well. Going to give this a go tomorow but wanted to see if Anyone has given this kind of setup a whirl and has any tips.
Thanks

So I’m trying to move my entire brewing process indoors and have a grainfather for most of the process. Bought a heat stick to supplement it because anyone who has ever tried to get a big beer to a boil on it knows it is tough on the American version. Anyway I’m thinking I should be able to get my sparge kettle heated with the heat stick to the proper temperature as well. Going to give this a go tomorow but wanted to see if Anyone has given this kind of setup a whirl and has any tips.
Thanks

Quick and easy tip for heating sparge water. Don't. Just don't heat it. It isn't necessary, doesn't really help anything, cost money to heat. The only downside is that it may take a few minutes extra to bring the wort to a boil but very few because you are adding the cool sparge water to a large mass of hot wet grain and that will heat up the water considerably.

I have found no difference if I heat the sparge water or not. I also have a grainfather and I treat my whole volume of water the night before and set it to heat up all the water before I wake up. Then draw off the sparge amount and put it in a pot on the counter without reheating

I have found no difference if I heat the sparge water or not. I also have a grainfather and I treat my whole volume of water the night before and set it to heat up all the water before I wake up. Then draw off the sparge amount and put it in a pot on the counter without reheating

I'll give this method a try today. I've got my old cooler so ill just draw it off into that so it's still somewhat heated. Thanks for the advice on this!

Back