Heat source for dual stage temp controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfrisby

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously you use the fridge/freezer for cooling, but what do you typically use for the heating side of a dual temp controller?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I used a seed germination mat for about a year until it died during mid-fermentation of a Belgian brew. Since I needed something in a hurry, I quickly threw together a paint can heater (Google it) along with a 40w appliance bulb and it's been working well for me ever since. I should've just went with one of those to begin with.

Depends what you're needing to heat and how much heat you need. I have a 49 cu. ft. cooler that I use an electric radiant baseboard heater in, and another 20 cu ft milk cooler that I use a small space heater. For small stuff like a single carboy you could try a ceramic reptile heater.

Regular light bulb with a metal housing worked great for me. Kept my fermentation freezer at perfect temps in the dead of winter out in my garage.

I use a Lasko MyHeat. It seems to work well. Mind you I am only on my second batch using it. The one issue I had was that I cooled my wort a little too much last time so had to bring the temperature back up (around 20F if I recall) in my fermentation freezer. My little heater would overheat so I had to unplug it and cool it then plug it back in. So while it doesn't work great in an enclosed space if running too long it seems to work just fine to maintain temperature once you are there. I also don't worry about it safety wise, which is worth something to me. Anyway, no regrets getting it.

Back