Heat Shrink Sleeves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
SWMBO made a cranberry and apple wine maybe a year ago, and it's past time to bottle, and I'm attempting to get her situated with an inexpensive hand corker and corks. Are the heat shrink sleeves necessary? And if so is a good hairdryer enough to shrink them or do we need to get the expensive heater thing that looks like a hairdryer?

It seems the wax seal is necessary from what I read, especially if using #3 corks. Is this right? Or is this for aging purposes?

What I read stated the heat shrink sleeves don't do a good job, that the wax does much better.

I am looking at a cheap deep fryer and faux wax.

No need even if aged for a year or two?

I've ordered #3 corks as they were the only ones MoreWine offered in a smaller quantity since we had to buy other things too.

I use my tea kettle for the heat shrinkers. Takes one or two bottles to get the hang of it but put some water in it and wait until you see some steam. Then shrink them by pressing on the rounded side of the kettle or just holding them over the steam. My wife's hairdryer wouldn't do the trick. It is relatively new and doesn't get as hot as the old ones.

I use a small sauce pan and boil water then dunk the shrink sleeves in for a few seconds. Does a nice job.

Most bottles take a number 9 cork.

Right. And the smallest bottles (forget what they are called) use #7 corks.

I think you are using beer bottles or something if you're using #3 corks?

In any case, the heat shrinks don't 'do' anything- they just dress up the bottle.

I'm cheap, and I put the heat shrink on right when I give the bottle as a gift (so I can inspect the cork first- don't put it on earlier!). I stick it on, and hold it over my gas range's medium burner. It shrinks right on there, no problem.

Reused wine bottles mostly.

But I bought the faux wax for her to use after reading what I did...

hairdrier worked for me.

I filled some wine bottles with Bourbon to smuggle them onto a cruise ship. They allow 1 botle of wine(or Bourbon disguised as wine) per person. :mug:

No need even if aged for a year or two?

I've ordered #3 corks as they were the only ones MoreWine offered in a smaller quantity since we had to buy other things too.

I've got 4 year old wine without shrink capsules or wax.
#9 x 1 1/2 corks do the job.

Back