Healthy beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
I was just wondering what are some of the healthiest beers? What are the least healthy? I heard Guiness is really good but i like Sierra Nevada stout better. is that as good as guiness?

i dont care about heart or liver or anthing. i mean that will stop from putting on fat and not impede muscle growth. im hoping to hear stouts wont get me as fat. haha

Light Beer???

Beer in itself is not going to make you any fatter than the guy who doesn't drink. Exercise and a healthy diet are the key, and if you are doing that a couple of beers a day isn't going to make a difference.

Now if you are using beer to wash down hot wings deep fried in butter, then it might be part of the problem.

Sorry if I offended anyone who likes butter fried hot wings:(

WHAT??? All malt is sugar...sugar converts to fat...healthy???

Healthy as far as beer is concerned would be a weizen...drink the yeast from the bottle...alcohol uses up vitamin B...yeast is vitamin B.

Monks were authorized (drank) up to 5 liters of beer a day during Lent in lieu of food due to fasting...ever seen a skinny monk?? Don't think so...:D

i dont mean healthy i just mean the one least likely to make u fat. im not fat at all now and i want to keep it that way

If you worry about your health throughout maybe let's say 65% of your life, then how could you possibly enjoy what little bit (35%) of life you have left to savor that wonderful taste? If you cannot manage to keep yourself in shape simply because of procastination and laziness, then just give in and enjoy all of those wonderful beers out there. If your health is a concern for natural reasons beyond your control, then I guess you need to decide what is more important; listening to your doctor or grabbing life by the ass and seize the moment..... carpe deim.:mug: :rockin:

If all you are worried about it calories, drink lite beer. It runs about half the calories of a typical craft ale.

Even so, a six pack of BMC-L has more calories than a pint of Guinness and is a lot less satisfying.

A lot of the so called "beer guts" you see are caused by swollen livers from drinking too much alcohol. Those same folks would have that no matter what alcoholic beverage they consumed. Combine that with the fact that most men tend to put on any excess weight around the middle. And beer gets a bad rap.

It's really simple : calories in vs. calories burned. If you take in more calories than you burn you'll gain weight. Take in less calories than you burn you'll lose weight.

In and of itself drinking beer is not going to make you fat

All things in moderation.

grrtt78 said:
i dont mean healthy i just mean the one least likely to make u fat. im not fat at all now and i want to keep it that way

Ask any nutritionist/Diatitian... Beer doesn't make you fat. Ingesting more calories than your body uses makes you fat. So be it from beer, burgers or "health" bars, if you eat more than you use you'll get fat.

omniscientomar said:
Ask any nutritionist/Diatitian... Beer doesn't make you fat. Ingesting more calories than your body uses makes you fat. So be it from beer, burgers or "health" bars, if you eat more than you use you'll get fat.

Right. Unfortunately, beer has lots of calories. My Walker's IPA has 273 calories per pint, according to Beersmith. I drink one to two per day- (I'll give my self an average of 1.5, but it's probably more than that!), for a monthly total of 12,285 calories. If I didn't cut down somewhere else, I'd gain 4 pounds per month just by drinking 1.5 beers per day.

I'm very fit, and health conscious, but I love my beer! So, I exercise and cut out junk food and still drink beer. I'd rather have a beer or two a day than have a doughnut, chips, or any other junk food. Plus, when you think of it, beer is a much healthier alternative to those "junk foods". No fat, no artificial colorings, no salt, no trans-fats, and 100% natural. It all comes down to choices, like omar says. I'm heavier now than I was 25 years ago, but I'm certainly not fat! (see my gallery if you don't believe me!)

Back