Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been 11 days on the Conan with the signpost v4. Went from 1.072 to 1.009, ready for dry hop. Very impressed with this yeast, pitched a pale ale into the cake and it took off like a rocket within 90 minutes. Jaw wide, never saw anything like that in my brewing career.. Worried I overpitched actually.

Agreed. There's something to keep in mind when you look at beer ratings.

If it's a great beer, and it's widely available, it'll have a good rating, but due to so many reviews, and obviously differences in peoples tastes, you will have lower scores, than the same beer if it's distribution was cut in half.

If a great beer has, limited distro, or no distro. Smaller batches, seasonal brewing, or... defies all of the above, but its harder than hell to get, then it will always get a higher mark.

Go look at the top 5 rated beers for styles, and most are pretty hard to get within reason in most cases.

Duvel's one of the top 5 of all time on BA, IIRC. It's not alone, either. I'm not saying they don't bias toward obscure beers, but I don't think it's that pronounced.

I've had some great beers that score around 80 on BA. On the other hand... I used to love Sam Adams. I mostly stopped buying it when I realized that I'd regretted the last four samplers I bought, though I still occasionally pick up a sixer of Boston Lager.

Also, :off:

Been five days on the Conan with the signpost v4. Went from 1.072 to 1.009, ready for dry hop. Very impressed with this yeast, pitched a pale ale into the cake and it took off like a rocket within 90 minutes. Jaw wide, never saw anything like that in my brewing career.. Worried I overpitched actually.
You did. But I'm sure it will be okay.

That's why I don't subscribe to byo. Usually Good articles, but poor editing. I think the "no more Conan" has got to be a complete farce.

Not a farce, while both Shaun Hill & John Kimmich have been granted access to Conan yeast before Greg's passing (which was Greg Noonan's baby), neither John nor Shaun actually are using that strain any longer (if Shaun ever used it was not clear). Neither disclosed the exact route from Conan to their current strain, but both made it clear that what is used by VT Pub & Brewery is not the strain they are using in their house ales...aka, not Conan, but rather most likely a derivation of Conan.
As most already know, a can of Heady Topper is the best way to get the Alchemist's strain. Since cans of Heady Topper are so limited in distribution, a yeast of similar origins was needed for the recipe since BYO has worldwide distribution. Hence the Worthington's strain was recommended for it's clean profile and strong attenuation. Similar results were seen from chico fermented at bottom of the recommended temp range. In side-by-side comparison, the chico fermented at 62F was chosen by tasters, but Worthington's performed admirably and since their house strain is most likely english derived, opted for Worthington's in this recipe.
As for the base malt, if you can tell the difference in your HT clone when comparing Pearl vs. Halycon vs. Optic, well then more power to you. Using any quality british pale malt will get you close to their malt profile. Caramalt is known as the caramalt of HT, caravienne was a leftover from the original version and not updated to reflect. Caravienne was the cara-malt used in all my clone versions and did the trick though.

Not a farce, while both Shaun Hill & John Kimmich have been granted access to Conan yeast before Greg's passing (which was Greg Noonan's baby), neither John nor Shaun actually are using that strain any longer (if Shaun ever used it was not clear). Neither disclosed the exact route from Conan to their current strain, but both made it clear that what is used by VT Pub & Brewery is not the strain they are using in their house ales...aka, not Conan, but rather most likely a derivation of Conan.
As most already know, a can of Heady Topper is the best way to get the Alchemist's strain. Since cans of Heady Topper are so limited in distribution, a yeast of similar origins was needed for the recipe since BYO has worldwide distribution. Hence the Worthington's strain was recommended for it's clean profile and strong attenuation. Similar results were seen from chico fermented at bottom of the recommended temp range. In side-by-side comparison, the chico fermented at 62F was chosen by tasters, but Worthington's performed admirably and since their house strain is most likely english derived, opted for Worthington's in this recipe.
As for the base malt, if you can tell the difference in your HT clone when comparing Pearl vs. Halycon vs. Optic, well then more power to you. Using any quality british pale malt will get you close to their malt profile. Caramalt is known as the caramalt of HT, caravienne was a leftover from the original version and not updated to reflect. Caravienne was the cara-malt used in all my clone versions and did the trick though.

I am referring to the current yeast you could culture from a can of ht as Conan. No conan may indeed mean its not the original conan.

I am referring to the current yeast you could culture from a can of ht as Conan. No conan may indeed mean its not the original conan.

Strong words then... But from in my understanding from talking with John & Shaun, everyone calling HT's yeast Conan is the incorrect nomenclature. That said, I think not too long ago John called his house strain Conan in an interview (not sure when though), so definitely a gray area.

I think not too long ago John called his house strain Conan in an interview (not sure when though), so definitely a gray area.

Definitely gray, but since kimmich said it, it kinda was a runaway name, especially here with us HBTers. Point being, I just don't think the ht yeast of choice is changing any time soon or has any time in the recent past. Conjecture, sure, but it is my opinion of the matter, that's all.

Pulled another sample yesterday while adding the second set of dry hops. Its not heady and it came out to 9.3%

ForumRunner_20130925_071653.jpg

I emailed jabien and he said he did have some trouble with the vials but insured the yeast well be ok... He said i can have a refund but id feel bad if the yeast is ok and i took the refund

I emailed jabien and he said he did have some trouble with the vials but insured the yeast well be ok... He said i can have a refund but id feel bad if the yeast is ok and i took the refund

Same here. Seems the new packaging has given some trouble.

I have a starter on the stir plate now and will post back later this weekend.

Are these from Yeast Geek? Is the delivery 2x 50mL vials per order or did you order 2 vials?

Thanks! Placed my order a day or two ago. :D

still have yet to come across a heady topper. tis very very sad. hoping its like other things where once i stop looking for it, it finds u.

whoah is that frozen or are you defying gravity?? :cross:

Hhahaha....the hbt app screws up the orientation of portrait shots.

Those yeast shipments scare me....I personally don't trust liquid yeast being mailed across the country....no matter how many ice bags are included.

Hhahaha....the hbt app screws up the orientation of portrait shots.

Those yeast shipments scare me....I personally don't trust liquid yeast being mailed across the country....no matter how many ice bags are included.

They scare me too, but they should be fine as long as you ensure healthy cells by making a starter, preferably with pure o2 and a stir plate, granted they haven't already leaked all over the effing package.

They scare me too, but they should be fine as long as you ensure healthy cells by making a starter, preferably with pure o2 and a stir plate, granted they haven't already leaked all over the effing package.

I emailed him and asked for a replacement if at all possible.... But I'd hate to spend that money money on a clone like this and get an infection.... Maybe I'll brew a basic ipa and see How it comes out and just harvest the yeast

Looks much better than my leaky vials! Am I the only one that doesn't trust them on a full batch? Thinking of trying some on a 1 gal batch and culturing the rest.

Mine leaked too. I look at it like this.. There was positive pressure under the cheap $0.02 vial's cap. (this means nothing should have gotten inside) So I soaked it in star san, then relieved the pressure and then sprayed it again.

I've tried to read through all 107 pages of this thread, but without doing so, could someone point me to the post that list the consensus recipe for HT? I just got my BYO and I wanted to compare it to what has been established by everyones hard work here in the forum. What page is the recipe that comes closest to heady on? Thanks.

Back