Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and Vegan, when will the next vials of Conan be available? I keep checking the site but it always show out of stock.

Every Monday 8pm EST they go up. They made it till Tuesday morning last batch before selling out. Sell on Monday, shipped the following Monday is our schedule.

Thanks, still dont have amarillo but my LHBS had some last time I was there. Thier shipping is reasonable at $12, but the way they price thier hops is crazy. For 3 ounces of their hops, it is the same price they sell a pound for! I am not certain I will use up a pound of simcoe or a pound of columbus!! Though I guess it wont be bad to have them around, just need to find a recipe to use them in!

Is it useful to try to use the columbus or Simcoe to make up the 118 IBUs of hop shots since i will have so much? Or will I get a different flavor that I wasnt expecting? I always thought that after a 60 minute boil addition, there really is no flavor or aroma left, only the bitterness?

the bulk of their hops are sold in 4oz packs not individual ounces

Got my yg001 today. Had a bunch of yeast hanging out in the plastic bag...it looks like I lost half of one of the bottles in the delivery. Bummer. Will a starter be able to take care of that? Also, should I be storing in the fridge or freezer? I've never bought yeast to save before. Thanks.

Got my yg001 today. Had a bunch of yeast hanging out in the plastic bag...it looks like I lost half of one of the bottles in the delivery. Bummer. Will a starter be able to take care of that? Also, should I be storing in the fridge or freezer? I've never bought yeast to save before. Thanks.

Store them in the fridge. If you want to freeze some for l/t storage, you'll need glycerine. Let me know if you have trouble with the one that leaked, the heat probably forced some foam out. Send me a PM when you get it in the fridge for 12 hours or so and let me know how much yeast cake is in there, I'll be able to tell how much actual yeast you lost.

Store them in the fridge. If you want to freeze some for l/t storage, you'll need glycerine. Let me know if you have trouble with the one that leaked, the heat probably forced some foam out. Send me a PM when you get it in the fridge for 12 hours or so and let me know how much yeast cake is in there, I'll be able to tell how much actual yeast you lost.

Thanks for the help, Vegan. I'll let you know. Though it more likely will be after 16 hours instead of 12, since I will not be waking up at 4 am :eek:

today's the day I transfer to secondary and start dry hopping schedule. I know the 4.0 recipe calls for cold crashing at 58 degrees but I don't have the means to do that, it's either ambient 63 in the basement or in a fridge at about 50 degrees...which one do you guys think would be better? I'm going to transfer it tonight. Thanks!

today's the day I transfer to secondary and start dry hopping schedule. I know the 4.0 recipe calls for cold crashing at 58 degrees but I don't have the means to do that, it's either ambient 63 in the basement or in a fridge at about 50 degrees...which one do you guys think would be better? I'm going to transfer it tonight. Thanks!

The colder you cold crash a beer, the better the flocculation of yeast and settling of solids you will get. When you dry hop, you may want to bring the beer back out to your basement temp for better extraction of essential oils (although some well respected breweries dry hop long and cold).

The colder you cold crash a beer, the better the flocculation of yeast and settling of solids you will get. When you dry hop, you may want to bring the beer back out to your basement temp for better extraction of essential oils (although some well respected breweries dry hop long and cold).

Thanks. Yeah the original 4.0 recipe said cold crash to 58 and begin dry hopping schedule. I'm thinking transfer onto hops and stick it in the fridge to cold crash it.

If you want to crash, crash it without the hops, then bring it out and warm it up to dry hop. So throw it in the fridge for a 8 hours at 50 or whatever works, then just take it out and let it warm back to 63 in the basement. Then you can put the dry hop in. Each degree colder it goes, extraction of hop oils goes down.

Basically, do whatever you like. Everyone has their own idea as what's best when it comes to hops. Matt Brynildson won't dry hop more than five days whereas Vinnie Cilurzo often goes over two weeks. Just do what is easiest to repeat for you and your system.

This is a clone thread, and as such, the recipe says the technique as close to what John Kimmich the brewer does it. Follow if you wish.

If you're not brewing on the exact same equipment Kimmich is using, you can tweak the process so your end product tastes as close to HT as possible. Repeatability is key if you're going to brew this more than once. Tweaking the process to fit your system is important as none of us are going to be brewing this on Kimmich's system, so if DHing at a lower temp is more repeatable than DHing at higher ones, he should do that, but probably DH a few days longer to get the extraction.

So I just brewed this yesterday and its going like crazy (nice smell from the airlock). I apologize if this has already been asked/answered. It seems like you reference doing 1/2 the dry hops in two phases yet in the recipe it just lists 8 days for dry hops. Is it 4 days each? Should you remove the first dry hop when the second phase is done?

Thanks

So I just brewed this yesterday and its going like crazy (nice smell from the airlock). I apologize if this has already been asked/answered. It seems like you reference doing 1/2 the dry hops in two phases yet in the recipe it just lists 8 days for dry hops. Is it 4 days each? Should you remove the first dry hop when the second phase is done?

Thanks

Nevermind, saw it was on the first page of this thread. Just wasn't on theveganbrewer's website.

I was in a hurry last night as time was limited and didn't read my notes/directions close enough and ended up throwing all the dry hops in. I plan on leaving them in for 5-8 days and then cold crashing it before bottling.

I just wanted to comment on my recent HT clone attempt. I haven't posted in a while because I've been busy building my current rig, photo attached! In the process of testing I discovered my Blichmann 15 gal does not respond to induction heating, so for brew day I just used my propane burner on the gas grill to direct fire the MLT. I have since added a third kettle and I'm building a full E-HERMS, Kal style, minus the fancy control box.

I followed Vegan's clone recipe almost to the letter, save for a few issues and errors. I had to sub in a bunch of Ahtanum for much of the Amarillo, and I had no Conan, so I went with Wyeast 1099 and 1098 (I split the batch). At the end of the mash I made a big time rookie mistake. My OG was about 1.046, but I neglected to account for temperature (168F)! So as I kept heating it up in the BK, I added LME (Munton's light) to bring up the gravity.. but strange thing, the gravity stayed the same. Then I remembered I had to adjust for temp, and had now way overshot. To get back to my target gravity, I had to increase the batch volume from 8 gallons to 10, diluting my hops a bit... pre-ferment OG was 1.072.

I did the hop steep using a nylon bag. In retrospect, I think I should have just dumped them all in there and did a recirculating whirlpool, and maybe strained them out before fermentation.

As I said, I went with Wyeast 1099 and 1098. Hoping to get a little Conan going, I also added half a can of HT to each fermentor. Pitch temp was 68-70F.

The 1099 batch sat in my fermentation cooler, where I maintained a water bath at 66F under PID control. The 1098 batch was harder to control, sitting in a tub of water in a 70F room, using wet t-shirts to keep the temp down. It spent quite a bit of time at 72F, then 70F, and now it's been swapped into the fermentation cooler where it's 68F.

Both batches had high krausen within 18 hours, and I had to clean out the airlocks multiple times. A blowoff tube definitely would have helped.

It's been exactly 5 days, and I checked gravities (and tasted the beer). The 1099 batch was about 1.018, and tasted..... like HT!! I couldn't believe how close the hop profile was, and only 5 days in, with no dryhop yet. WAY TO GO VEGAN.

The 1098 batch (which fermented at a higher temp) was at only 1.025, and the sweetness definitely overwhelmed the hop flavor. I could also taste some extraneous alcohols. The guys at my HBS have some kind of yeast activator they say works, so I'll probably add some of that, and shake vigorously every day. I've brought the temp up on both to 68-70F. I wish I had an oxygenator.

Now would be a great time to upgrade to a mini keg setup, with 10 gallons of worthy beer waiting in the wings.

IMG_1133.JPG

Just took a gravity sample (brewed Sunday OG 1.084) it's sitting at 1.019 right now. Minus the diaectyl taste the aroma/taste seems like it's right so far, quite delicious.

I just kegged my Heady Topper clone today with half the dry hop in a bag hanging from the keg lid. Brewed this clone OG 1.072 http://signpostbrewing.com/heady-topper-clone-brew-4-0/ on July 7th, fermentation started at 65F, which was held for first 3 days then let to free rise to 70F, on July 14th added half the dry hop into primary, just kegged the beer today July 21st gravity reading was 1.011. The sample tasted great!, very hoppy, no off flavors or fusels. Going to let the keg sit at room temperature for 4 days before chilling/carbonation.

The conan yeast was cultured from 2 can dregs I got mailed to me from a friend back east. Started with 200ML 1.040 for 4 days at 70F, decanted, repeat stepped up to 400ML, then to 1L on my stir plate, then 3L on stir plate, finally decanted and pitched the slurry into the wort.

My clone attempt, via vegan's 4.0 recipe: ridiculously good. Best DIPA I've ever made, and side by side I prefer mine over the original. The HT is 6 weeks old, so thats probably why, but DAMN this is good! Its only 5 or 6 days in the bottle, so it will get a little better carbed/retention, but it is so damn tasty!!!

20130721_194823b.JPG

My clone attempt, via vegan's 4.0 recipe: ridiculously good. Best DIPA I've ever made, and side by side I prefer mine over the original. The HT is 6 weeks old, so thats probably why, but DAMN this is good! Its only 5 or 6 days in the bottle, so it will get a little better carbed/retention, but it is so damn tasty!!!

That sure looks damn close. :tank:
Mine was the same way. I think with the "tweeking" that seems to be going on with Heady, and with a lot of people saying they liked it better before, I'm going to say mine's done for now and is a Heady inspired brew.

That sure looks damn close. :tank:
Mine was the same way. I think with the "tweeking" that seems to be going on with Heady, and with a lot of people saying they liked it better before, I'm going to say mine's done for now and is a Heady inspired brew.

That's what I said too, I'm done messing around with this. I know how it used to taste and how to brew it like that, so that's what I'm sticking too.

Well done! That looks perfect, first side by side we've seen of a clone attempt with the newer grain bill.

I'll have mine up soon. Just added the second dry hop and tasted it, so amazingly close to what I remember heady tasting like even without the second dry hop.

bottling tonight, can't wait to see where it ended at gravity wise(last check was 1.014 about 10 days ago), and I really want to try it again, last gravity sample tasted amazing and that was before the dry hopping. my dry hop schedule as I mentioned was a little off, threw it all in for 8 days so I prob won't have as much aroma as if I split it but I'm betting it will still be pretty damn good!

That's what I said too, I'm done messing around with this. I know how it used to taste and how to brew it like that, so that's what I'm sticking too.

I'll be sure to put up a pic of mine. My only problem is that mine is crystal clear. Oops. :D

Taste is spot on using v4.0 w/ the updated grain bill. Hit all my numbers and have had it on gas for 2 weeks. I'll pull a pint and snap a pic this week sometime. Absolutely delicious.

I'm not sure if I ever posted a pic of mine but if I did, oh well, now there's two. This was only a week in the keg, so it was slightly clearer after a couple weeks.

1045112_10200101696214281_542449067_n.jpg

I am brewing a HT clone (from Maltose Express in CT) this weekend with Conan I sourced from a local HBT member!

I am brewing a HT clone (from Maltose Express in CT) this weekend with Conan I sourced from a local HBT member!

I did that kit a few months ago, using 1056... it was a good DIPA but it was no heady... curious how it comes out using conan...

I talked to those guys about that clone, they are the guys who publish that big book of clones. Well, like others mentioned, they didn't have a clue about Heady.

I talked to those guys about that clone, they are the guys who publish that big book of clones. Well, like others mentioned, they didn't have a clue about Heady.

Correct - I don't expect it to turn out exactly like Heady. What pisses me off is they will not divulge any of the information on the hops used in this recipe. Shocker.

Bottled Monday. Finished at 1. 013 down from 1.071. This was with Conan harvested from 1 can. So finished at 7.7% abv and about 80% attenuation. More importantly it tasted fabulous!! I wanted to drink it then and there. Amazing aroma and bitter but not over the top. I followed v4.0 adjusted for my system but all the same ingredients only thing that differed was I dry hopped all at one time instead of of 4 days apart. Can't wait for this to carb up just in time too for my home brew club august dipa competition. SWMBO also proclaimed this was the best batch yet! This WILL be made again.

Thanks vegan for all the leg work to get to 4.0!

Correct - I don't expect it to turn out exactly like Heady. What pisses me off is they will not divulge any of the information on the hops used in this recipe. Shocker.

Yea, that really bothered me too. I had done two kits from them previous to this that detailed everything (grains, extract, hops etc) but this kit just had "Add hop bag 1 at 60 minutes, etc." Last kit I bought from there....

I got a couple out of them, but they wouldn't say the whole thing because they're publishing a new book and are planning on putting that recipe in there.

Back