Headspace/Lees w/ different yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wetcider

Reaction score
Hi, just got done putting together a six gallon fermentor bucket so I can upgrade from one gallon batches to five. I have an assortment of yeasts: Red Star Premier Rogue (Pasteur Red), Premier Blanc (Pasteur Champaigne), Montrachet; Lavlin EC-118; Safale s-04, us-05; and Lallemand Nottingham. I've only had experience with the first two wine yeasts. And I've been reading through Ed's Apfelwien thread and many others.

The questions are how much lees should I expect and how much headspace should I have with a five gallon batch with the yeast strains stated, especially with the ale yeasts?

I installed a spigot about 1.5 inches off the bottom about at the half gallon mark so I hope it's high enough not to suck out lees. Also I did something a little different with the lid, used one with a pour spout to use as a filling port to minimize exposure to the external environment. I did not drill the airlock hole in the spout cap, just in the lid to the side of the spout.

Back