Heading to Nashville tomorrow...suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We are heading to Nashville tomorrow and plan to stop by a couple of beer bars / breweries. Any suggestions for good places for us to go? We will only be there one day so any suggestions on Friday will not help us any. Thank you.

We are in Paducah Kentucky, and for some reason our internet connections are severely compromised. Otherwise, we would have done this sooner. I'm doing this from my phone. Thank you for any suggestions or advice.

I visited a few years ago for the second time. I don't remember much about beer... Music, clubs, and the peddle bar rolling up and down the main drag downtown. So here's a link to a somewhat timely article.
http://uproxx.com/life/best-beer-in-nashville/6/

Thank you for the link.

I just have to note this--last night we checked into a Super 8 ($45/night so what the heck, right?). We're in Paducah, on our way to Nashville this morning. We thought last night we'd plan out our day, hit a couple breweries, maybe the Nashville American Pickers store, things like that.

Well. We get here and not my laptop, not either of our smartphones, not my wife's Fire, can connect to WIFI. Or should I say, we can connect, but no internet connection. We do all sorts of gyrations to get SOMETHING connected, the manager is in our room trying our devices, etc. Nothing works.

Eventually I call my son who's pretty good with computer stuff. We go through the list, we can't figure it out. Eventually, while I'm sitting there, my wife's Fire decides to connect. My son says "maybe they have a limited number of internet connections, and they're all used up."

My wife's Fire deciding to connect spoke in favor of that, but we could not get the other three devices to work.

This morning, no better. We go for breakfast in the lobby, and while there my phone connects! Yay! Before all I had was 3G, so not a very fun browsing experience. We get back to our room, and my laptop has connected.

So--I believe my son was correct, there were only so many internet connections here and we were shut out. I'm working now to figure out our itinerary, and the link above is helpful.

On we go.

- Tennessee Brew Works. Cool brewery with good beer, food, and patio. Although, it started pouring rain this morning and I think it's going to rain for a few days. Usually have live music that's pretty good.

- Corsair Distillery. This place is very cool. Obviously a distillery, but they make a lot of small batch beers that are wild or styles you don't see much which are usually very good. And it's right next to the Picker's store.

- Fat Bottom Brewery. I like the food better than the beer honestly, but still a cool place.

- Yazoo. It's a good brewery, on the larger of scales for craft breweries here in Nashville. Sue, the smoked porter, is my favorite beer they make.

My wife had brain surgery at Vanderbilt hospital in January so we've been to Nashville many times in the preceding year and we will be back at least twice more this year.

From our Homewood Suites on West End Ave (highly recommended for service, location, and free breakfast and happy hour but parking is pricey) we could walk maybe half a mile to a lot of restaurants and bars including Hattie B's hot chicken place (I enjoyed it but prepare to wait) and The Row for some good food and drink and no-cover mostly country music (my wife's preference) although a young man from Alabama played an incredible cover of Copperhead Road that I requested.

From the hotel we could also walk to the Parthenon park which we did every morning for exercise if you are into that.

Another good place we ate was DeSano Pizza which was also near our hotel (we walked but we're walkers) but in the opposite direction of Hattie Bs/The Row.

One of my favorite places to eat in Nashville is The Stillary, a downtown restaurant that serves maybe the best burger I've ever had and they had a decent beer selection.

The Black Abbey brewery taproom was fun though there's no food and it was a bit far from where we were staying. I enjoyed the Tennessee Brew Works beers better than Black Abbey plus there's good food and a better outdoor seating situation. TBW is also reasonably close to the Yazoo and Jackalope taprooms although we didn't make it to them but they are both in my next trip itinerary.

If you are near the Opryland hotel there's a nearby shopping center with what I thought was a very good BBQ place called Mission BBQ. It is apparently a chain started by ex-military personnel but I thought it was delicious and I lived in Memphis for 12 years where good BBQ is a religion.

I haven't even gotten to music row where there are many dozens of good bars and restaurants in a walking distance area.

</Nashville brain dump>

Thanks all--we managed to hit three breweries today:

Corsair Brewstillery and Taproom. It's adjacent to the Antique Archaeology area, which is an interesting sort of boutique mall. They had about 8 beers on tap. They had a Rye IPA which was aged in a Rye Whiskey barrel. Pretty decent. We also had a nice porter that even my wife liked, and an oatmeal ale that was pretty good. They're actually in the space that Yazoo brewing started in. I'd recommend a visit if you are nearby.

Jackalope Brewing. This is very close to Yazoo, so if you do the one, do the other. The beers were also good--I had a Rompo Red Rye Ale--pretty good. My wife had a Lovebird Strawberry/Raspberry Hefewiesen, which she liked. I thought it was pretty good as well.

Then on to Yazoo brewing. They have tours, and you get a small taster glass that they refill several times during the tour. Had a glass of Dos Perros, a dark lager; it isn't all that distinctive, IMO. Also had a sample of their hefeweisen which I thought was outstanding. The tour was fairly fun, though anyone brewing all-grain isn't going to learn much. Actually, if you're brewing extract you aren't going to learn much either. But it still was fun, there were several samples, and we got to keep the glass. :)

All of them are worth visiting if you're in town. Wish I had time to visit the others suggested above.

Thanks all--we managed to hit three breweries today:

Corsair Brewstillery and Taproom. It's adjacent to the Antique Archaeology area, which is an interesting sort of boutique mall. They had about 8 beers on tap. They had a Rye IPA which was aged in a Rye Whiskey barrel. Pretty decent. We also had a nice porter that even my wife liked, and an oatmeal ale that was pretty good. They're actually in the space that Yazoo brewing started in. I'd recommend a visit if you are nearby.

Jackalope Brewing. This is very close to Yazoo, so if you do the one, do the other. The beers were also good--I had a Rompo Red Rye Ale--pretty good. My wife had a Lovebird Strawberry/Raspberry Hefewiesen, which she liked. I thought it was pretty good as well.

Then on to Yazoo brewing. They have tours, and you get a small taster glass that they refill several times during the tour. Had a glass of Dos Perros, a dark lager; it isn't all that distinctive, IMO. Also had a sample of their hefeweisen which I thought was outstanding. The tour was fairly fun, though anyone brewing all-grain isn't going to learn much. Actually, if you're brewing extract you aren't going to learn much either. But it still was fun, there were several samples, and we got to keep the glass. :)

All of them are worth visiting if you're in town. Wish I had time to visit the others suggested above.

That reminds me that Homewood Suites had two kegs running during their happy hour: Miller Lite and Yazoo Dos Perros. I was initially excited to see something other than BMC available but like you I thought Dos Perros was pretty meh. Still better than BMC.

It sounds like you had a good visit.

That reminds me that Homewood Suites had two kegs running during their happy hour: Miller Lite and Yazoo Dos Perros. I was initially excited to see something other than BMC available but like you I thought Dos Perros was pretty meh. Still better than BMC.

It sounds like you had a good visit.

It's getting better. Guess where we're staying in Birmingham Friday and Saturday?

Homewood Suites. :)

It's getting better. Guess where we're staying in Birmingham Friday and Saturday?

Homewood Suites. :)
Two words: Good People. And two more: Hop City.

Seriously I don't know what your plans are but a fun weekend activity in Birmingham is the farmer's market at Pepper Place on Saturdays. Its walking distance from Hop City which is a warehouse-sized taproom and beer/wine store. HC also has a decent selection of homebrewing supplies and only a short drive to the Good People brewery taproom as well.

There are several other local brewery taprooms worth visiting but GP is my fav. Have fun!

Back