Heading to Denver!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsncrabs

Reaction score
My daughter has a volleyball tournament in Denver in two weeks. I get to spend 5 days hopefully drinking beers I can't get on the East coast. I'm a hophead but my traveling companions are not, so where do I start? We are
staying downtown at the Marriot and using public transportation. I am really interested in brew pubs. Thanks for the help!

Great Divide, Wynkoop, Prost, Dry Dock, Crooked Stave (brett expert)... all awesome. Also great beer bars around, just look on Google Maps for craft beer bar, they're all over. Enjoy my hometown, it is a dream!

Go to Hogshead. My cousin owns this place. Great Traditional British beers. Just west of downtown on 34th about a $8 cab fare. Enjoy!!

i know you mentioned brew pubs, but if you are looking for beers you might not be able to get on the east coast, i would consider also hitting up falling rock taphouse. it is downtown and not to far from the marriott. 75+ beers on tap plus a bottle list of stuff in the cellar. as they say "no crap on tap."

second crooked stave if you get the chance. love what chad is doing.

b

If it's brew pubs you're looking for, there's not too many. In Denver, most of the breweries dont serve food. But they usually have food trucks on the street outside so not all is lost.

Breckenridgebrewery serves food. Freshcraft isn't a brewery, but they have great food and a great selection. Denver beer company is also close to downtown.

Breckenridge, renegade, and TRVE are all very close. River north brewing is close to downtown
Cheeky monk has good food and lots of Belgians.

You should seriously consider renting a car for a trip to fort Collins. New Belgium, odells, and many more, including funkwerks, the 2012 brewery of the year .

Other notables in denver are dry dock and copper kettle, among many others. Then there's also Boulder.

Falling rock tap house is great, tons of west coast beers. It is the unofficial after bar of gabf and has tons of CO and west cost beers. As said before freshcraft is great. Euclid hall is another great place with some wonderful food and a very well picked beer list.

Also vine street pub on 17th has great beer, great food, and some of the best staff in Denver. They are part of mtn sun from boulder so you get the nice hippy vibe to go with it.

+1 to Falling Rock. It's basically my go-to place in Denver, as I'm usually only there for a night (two nights tops) when I'm in on business, and I like to get a good mix of CO breweries that aren't distributed to CA. The food is good too -- it's greasy pub food, but it's really quite good greasy pub food.

I echo all mentioned above, and would add Denver Beer Co (Downtown off Spear I believe), great concept. Tap house and they generally don't brew beers more than once. Been a couple times and I was impressed with everything I had there. Enjoy

It may be a stretch, and sound a bit silly, but you might consider going to Tipsy's liquor store. TONS of local stuff you could bring home with you.

If you get a chance, make it over to Wit's End. The beer is tasty and brewed 1 BBL at a time, and Scott (the owner/brewer) is the nicest guy in the world. Also you can't go wrong with Renegade (they just put a delicious "White Stout" on tap).

On a somewhat-related note, there is a local food truck called Matt's Snack Shack. His grilled wings are absolutely AMAZING. He has a regular schedule serving at several different breweries in the evenings (Great Divide on Mondays, Renegade on Tuesdays and Saturdays, River North on Wednesdays, and TRVE on Fridays).

+1 for Vine Street Pub, it is Stout Month for Mountain Sun and Vine Street so 2/3's of their tap wall will be specialty stouts made by them and local guests. Most of those beers you'll never find in a bottle :rockin:

+1 for Denver Beer Company (Platte and 17th), Crooked Stave, Strange Brewing, and Hogshead for brewpubs. Falling Rock in LoDo probably can't be beat for overall good beer selection in a bar. Also, Great Divide is walking or short cab ride distance from where you are staying.

:mug:

+2 Denver Beer CO. Try to get up to New Belgium in Fort Collins their tour is amazing.!!!! Plus Odells is up there too right down the street.

Lyons Oskar Blues is cool to at the Tasty Weasel

Downtown

Denver Beer Co, Renegade, Wynkoop, Great Divide. Breckingridge Brewery has all you can eat ribs on Tuesday nights on Kalamath.

Fresh Craft and Falling rock good source of local beers on tap and bottles.

I live a block from Denver Beer, so if you want to try some of my home brew.

Belgium Dubbel
Ed Worts Apfielwien
IPA
Mexican Lager
Holly Christmas Ale

i know you mentioned brew pubs, but if you are looking for beers you might not be able to get on the east coast, i would consider also hitting up falling rock taphouse. it is downtown and not to far from the marriott. 75+ beers on tap plus a bottle list of stuff in the cellar. as they say "no crap on tap."

second crooked stave if you get the chance. love what chad is doing.

b

I definitely want to bring some stuff home that I cant get here. Thanks

http://www.breckbrew.com/food/breckenridge-colorado-craft

I'd say start here. Right across from Coors Fields, they not only have their beers on Tap but a lot of local CO beers. May help you decide which of the places in the 5280 article posted above you want to hit.

Also while not specfically CO beers http://fallingrocktaphouse.com/ is a couple of blocks from the breckenridge pub and has a great selection

I have had a sampler pack of some of these brews. I really enjoyed them. Good stuff. thanks.

+2 Denver Beer CO. Try to get up to New Belgium in Fort Collins their tour is amazing.!!!! Plus Odells is up there too right down the street.

Lyons Oskar Blues is cool to at the Tasty Weasel

Downtown

Denver Beer Co, Renegade, Wynkoop, Great Divide. Breckingridge Brewery has all you can eat ribs on Tuesday nights on Kalamath.

Fresh Craft and Falling rock good source of local beers on tap and bottles.

I live a block from Denver Beer, so if you want to try some of my home brew.

Belgium Dubbel
Ed Worts Apfielwien
IPA
Mexican Lager
Holly Christmas Ale

Thanks. PM me your contact info and maybe we can meet for a beer. I arrive on March 1 and leave March 5.

Thanks for all of the replies! Looks like my friends and I have our work cut our for us to get to all of these places in between volleyball matches. I promise you we will try. If anyone wants to meet for a beer, just PM me and we will try to work something out. Love to meet a fellow HBTer.

Chris

Back