Heading to Austin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InityBrew

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am making my annual San Antonio trip on May 14th and we are heading to Austin for three days too.

Anything places that I must hit up?

Big fan of anything hoppy, stouts porters, kind of getting into sours.. Oh, and don't forget the barbecue.

Thanks in advance for the recommendation!

Ben

Not about the beer
The best barbeque that I've ever had is at Ruby's (512 W. 29th, near Guadalupe St.). The beer selection is, last I checked, a little disappointing. Other outstanding barbeque can be found at the Salt Lick (FM 1826, Driftwood, TX) and County Line (6500 Bee Caves Rd. or 5204 FM 2222). Once Over Coffee Bar/Primo’s Tacos (2009 S. 1st St.) are great in the morning. No beer, though. If you'd like something a little more upscale, Louie's 106 (106 E. 6th) is very nice.

About the beer
The Crown & Anchor (2911 San Jacinto Blvd.), near the UT campus, generally has a good selection of local beer. Particularly from the Real Ale Brewery. The Ginger Man (301 Lavaca St.), if it's like the branch in Dallas, is also a good place. Scholz Garten (1607 San Jacinto Blvd.) has (or had) good live music.

Breweries:
Live Oak
Hops and Grain
Austin Beerworks
Jester King - this is way out in the sticks, almost Dripping Springs

Bars:
The Whip Inn - also a bottle shop and Indian restaurant
The Draught House

Barbecue:
Franklin's - best brisket anywhere; be prepared to wait in a long line unless you go early on a weekday
Salt Lick - this is my favorite barbecue "experience"; all you cam eat for $25 cash; also out in the sticks semi close to Jester King

Big Hops Growler Station on Broadway, The Friendly Spot, Ranger Creek Brewstillery, Busted Sandal Brewery. All in SA. Austin has a ton of great places, I recommend YELP.

I would say Austin Beerworks and definitely Jester King.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Jester King if you can for sure, both for the beer and the setting. If you're out there, go to Salt Lick for the experience, but get there early to avoid crowds.

Hops and Grain is a fun spot to hang out and they brew great beer. The ABGB (Austin Beer Garden Brewery) is also a fun spot to hang out with pretty straightforward beer. Also Pinthouse Pizza (brewpub) for beer and food.

For bars, Whip In always has a good line up. On Rainey St, go to Craft Pride (50+ taps of all Texas craft beer) and Bangers Sausage House (huge national craft tap wall and good food).

For BBQ in Austin, I haven't had Franklin's yet because of the ridiculous lines, but I love La Barbecue. It's a food truck, recently relocated to 6th St, east of I-35. Again, get there a bit early for lunch to beat the rush/lines. They close when they run out of food.

My favorites in Austin are:

Hops and Grain

Live Oak

I keep trying and trying Jester King, but it just isn't my style for the most part. Beautiful atmosphere though.

For barbecue.... Salt Lick is great... Franklin's is great, but you have to line up early and wait a till they open.. then hope you are close enough to the front of hte line to get brisket..

You can always hit up Lockhart while in San Antonio... three famous bbq spots.

Black's

Kreuz's Market

Smitty's

Awesome. Thanks for all of the recommendations. I've been to most of the spots in SA, with the exception of busted sandal. Really pumped about the trip and will be hitting quite a few of the places listed.

Thanks,

Ben

There is a new maltster North of Austin named Blacklands Malt. Jester King uses their grain, and they sell to the public!

Back