Heading for brew day yeast trouble...advice ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishslayer

Reaction score
So I have a 10 gallon big ipa planned for tonight. 1.1 ish and had my strip plate going at 6pm last night with some saved London ale 0013. I plan to pitch sometime after midnight tonight so 36 hours was the plan.

At some point over night it kicked the bar and doesn't really look as if it is full of yeast.

I am thinking of going out and getting some backup.

I was thinking of getting 2 fresh vials and adding them to whatever the starter ends up with. Or a 1028 smack pack ? Or even a dry yeast? (I'd rather not) would Nottingham be close ? Trusty safale 05?

Thoughts?

Go with multiple packs of Notty. Run the starter through a yeast calculator using "intermittent shaking" instead of "stir plate" to see what your starter yeast count is likely to be. Then supplement with the Notty.

I have spent an hour obsessing over yeast strains and was now wondering if Windsor would be a closer match.

Brew buddy thinks just 2 fresh vials of 0013 to supplement and if we don't end up needing them just fridge them for next time.

If you end up using Windsor just be aware that it is significantly less attenuative than the other yeasts you're looking at. I usually get around 69-70% attenuation with Windsor and a FG around 1018-1020.

Latest posts

Back