Headed to Kansas City, where to go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgwild81

Reaction score
I'm headed to Kansas city this weekend with some friends. Where should we go? Where should we eat? Boulevard is closed this weekend. Any other beer related things to do? Any cool liquor stores with tons of micro brews? Thanks for the help!!

Either Gomers or Lukas Liquors probably carry the largest selection. However, some of the local Hy-Vee grocery stores, as of a few years ago, started carrying a pretty wide selection. As far as brewpubs? We have an area downtown called the 'Power and Light' district. There's a Gordon Biersch there, along with a bunch of other different places to eat. There's a 'Granite City' brewpub North of KC by about 15 miles, awesome food... :)
You might want to check out the 75th Street brewery as well!

+1 for the Power and Light area. Fun place to hang out in the evenings.

I second 75th St Brewery. I haven't been there for awhile but pretty cool place to go.

There's also a Granite City on the south side in Olathe if you are in that area. There's a Gordon Bierssh as well out at the Legend's by the Kansas Speedway.

You can't come to KC without having BBQ. I'm sure I could start a war on where to go, but my fav is probably Arthur Bryant's. Great place, was just there yesterday.

If you can make it Lawrence KS (about 40 minutes away or less depending on where you are) there is an excellent brew pub called Free State. Great college town, home of University of Kansas so there's plenty of night life there as well. If if you are not able to make it there, you should be able to pick up some of Free State's beer in the bottle shops around town.

Also not sure if you are able to get any of Boulevard's Smoke House series in Benton, but you should try a few of those beers if you haven't all ready.

+1 on free state if you can get over there (rock chalk).

i would personally recommend oklahoma joe's bbq. been 7 years since livin in KC but OK joe's is the place i miss most (this from an stl boy). that and bell street mama's for breakfast.

b

I strongly recommend Beer Kitchen in Old Westport, Just south of KC..just Google it. Great food and great selection of craft brews. Also across the street is a bar that serves a huge selection of craft beers (the name escapes me). About a block away is a World market...Interesting store if you never been and they carry Craft beers and wines..

Thanks everybody! Sounds like I'm gonna have to make more than one trip.

If you end up in downtoown "power and light" area there is a place called The Flying saucer if you are looking for good beer. They have something liike 250 kinds . If your in the mood for pizza there is Grinders like 5 minutes from there. If you are looking for a out of KC trip like 30 minutes from there is Weston, MO which is the most awesome town. The pub there is crazy. It's like a painting of a town. But in KC itself the spot is the flying saucer. Trust me you'll love it order the preztels.
PM me with any other questions. I liked KC when I lived close to it.

+1 on Weston. The pub's name is O' Malleys and is in a dug out cellar from many years ago. Really cool place. There is also a small brewery there on site a well named Weston Brewery Company our something like that.

Back