Headache

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyD

Reaction score
Random question. Does anybody else get a headache when they brew? I brew small batches on my stove top. Use the exhaust fan the whole time, but for some reason I get a headache every time. It doesn't creep up on me until the brew day is done. I know what your thinking, too many beers during the brew. I actually don't drink at all during the process.

Random question. Does anybody else get a headache when they brew? I brew small batches on my stove top. Use the exhaust fan the whole time, but for some reason I get a headache every time. It doesn't creep up on me until the brew day is done. I know what your thinking, too many beers during the brew. I actually don't drink at all during the process.

Do you mill your own grains?

Sometimes the dust messes with me... I've gotten a headache from that before.

My wife complains that the hops smell of boiling wart makes her nauseous, so I got a turkey fryer for outside. It may have been the subconscious rumblings due to knowing that the kitchen floor was going to be sticky for a number of weeks regardless of how many times we mopped.

My wife complains that the hops smell of boiling wart makes her nauseous, so I got a turkey fryer for outside. It may have been the subconscious rumblings due to knowing that the kitchen floor was going to be sticky for a number of weeks regardless of how many times we mopped.
I would take brewing outside over the kitchen any day.

I'm gonna go with simple stress – there's a lotta things you gotta keep in your head at once, a lot of stuff to think carefully about and be worried about not messing up, especially if you're relatively new and can't just do half of it on auto-pilot. Kinda like first learning to drive, only you're doing it for hours and hours at a shot, and if you mess it up, it's not obnoxious people but rather sweet, sweet beer that you've killed!

Specifics. Stove type (gas or electric), does the exhaust fan ACTUALLY exhaust out of the house, or does it just "filter" the air and blow it back into the kitchen (this is more common), etc.

Specifics. Stove type (gas or electric), does the exhaust fan ACTUALLY exhaust out of the house, or does it just "filter" the air and blow it back into the kitchen (this is more common), etc.

I'll second this. If there's a little malfunction in your stove, you might not notice it when it's on for 20 minutes when cooking dinner. Having it on for 2 hours or so when brewing is a different story.

Got a CO detector near the kitchen?

To answer all the questions at once: I always drink lots of water. Do not mill my own grain. Electric stove. Exhausts outside-I can smell it when I go out back coming out the vent. No CO detector. Could be the stress of worrying that I forgot something.

I don't buy the stress argument, but I admit I only get a headache about once a year. I get stressed, but that has never been the cause of a headache.

Brewing does not give me a headache. Brewing should not give you a headache either, so something is up. I have no ideas about the problem, but wanted to answer your question and let you know I think you are wise to search for the answer.

Good luck!

Could it be eye strain? Are you reading charts and stuff that you normally wouldn't?

Not sure if anyone mentioned this or not.... Most headaches are caused from dehydration. I have been both an instructor and a game judge and have preached to everyone that I work with to stay hydrated, also to have a small amount of protein to eat (dried fruit and nut mixes are usually best).

I know it's been touched (lightly upon) on this thread, but one thing to consider: My son got me into this hobby, and quickly realized that he was slightly allergic to some of the hops we used. He'd get a slight rash, and wake up the next day with a headache. I agree that headaches can be caused by dehydration, but his were exacerbated by the hops.

Back