Head Space in fementer. Importance?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifty-six

Reaction score
What are the potential issues with having to much head space (empty space) in the fermenter?

lets say I am fermenting 2.5 gallons in a 5 gal bucket or 5 gallons in a 20 gal bucket.

In addition to the potential issues what is the likelihood of them arising and can I get away with it from time to time.

I am in a very remote part of the Aleutians. I have to make due with supplies on hand. I have been brewing in 4 mil clear garbage bags for now. should be getting/making more supplies soon.

Short term, say from the pitching of yeast to bottling time three weeks later or so, that would be fine. There is plenty of c02 produced during fermentation to protect the beer and even though some dissipates through the airlock, some stays in the headspace of the fermenter, giving it a protective effect.
Once fermentation slows, the co2 in the headspace gradually dissipates but it's still there for a while. A couple of weeks or so up to even a month is absolutely fine.

During fermentation, I can't think of any problems with having a lot of headspace. CO2 is heavier than air, so it will purge itself as it ferments. After fermentation is done, you'd want to minimize headspace, or bottle it.

Headspace in primary isn't an issue - if you secondary for a long time, it could be. No worries - you're makin' beer.

Welcome to the board!

Back