Head scratcher that I need help with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptarmigancraft

Reaction score
5G Low abv stout brewed on feb 6. With washed wlp004 and a 1L starter. Temp controlled at 68 for first 3 days and has been sitting at 70 for the remainder.

OG 1.040

Looking for an FG around 1.010

Racked into keg to free up a Carboy today and plan on letting it sit for another few weeks at room temp before popping in the keezer.

After racking I took a refractometer reading and it showed 1.022. Thought stuck ferm at the start but this one of my staples and it always ferms quick with no issues. Tested water in refractometer and showed 1.002. Not a big error I wasn't worried.

As a fail safe i busted out the hydrometer, tested with water and got 1.000 on the nose. Put my beer sample in and it showed 1.010.

Does anyone have any similar experiences or thoughts on this??

The hydrometer is right. Refractometers are not accurate once there is alcohol in the brew. There are some conversion charts that will get you close. Trust the hydrometer.

Refractometers don't work for FG. There are some calculations you can do if you know the OG of the beer you're testing, but the reading itself will not be accurate.

I am ashamed. You guys beat me to it haha. I had my eureka moment as soon as I posted and wasn't able to delete before you helpful fellas responded. Thanks for not ripping in me. All is well haha

Back