Head Retention in CAL Common?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich8932

Reaction score
Would adding 1lb of white wheat to an 11 gallon batch of CA Common add a noticeable wheat flavor? I'm trying to find a grain to help head retention but I don't want to affect the flavor. Any thoughts?

I believe that amount would add a wheat flavor / body and perhaps some cloudiness. Perhaps carafoam would suit your needs better? This malt is used to add head retention to pilsners etc without getting in the way of their smooth flavor profile.

Doesn't carafoam also add carmel sweetness like crystal malt? Thanks!

Doesn't carafoam also add carmel sweetness like crystal malt? Thanks!

Nope, it's a dextrine malt so it should not have a recognizable effect on the flavor. It should impact only body & head retention; there's some good discussion on it here

I routinely use 0.5 lbs of wheat in 5 gal. batches for a range of beers. I wouldn't say that the flavors comes through much at all. Now body and perception, that is something else. I find it adds to the body and contributes a little "sweetness" to the final product. Not really sweet, more like a thickness that a sugar solution has, but without the sweet taste.

And helps improve head retention, but I add it for the reasons above, the head retention is just a bonus for me

Back