Head problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captwalt

Reaction score
I brewed a wit for the second time and both times no head. The first batch was bottled and the second kegged but same problem with both. No head. So I'm thinking it may be process or recipe related. The recipe is:
50% 2 row
40% white wheat
10% flaked oats

For a 10 gallon batch I also added 1 oz crushed coriander and 2 oz orange peal. I got the recipe from one of the forum threads that I can't find anymore.
Mash went well about 151 ish, reasonable efficiency no problems sparging, boiled normally spice additions went in at about 10 min. We also used about 15-20 drops of the foam control stuff but I usually use it and haven't had this problem. I chilled as always and got the break material out. Fermented with saved yeast wlp008.

The flavor and abv are right where I want it. It is a good beer, carbed nicely and it has good lacing on the side of the glass but the lack of a thick pillowy head, both times I brewed it, indicates to me that something is not right. If this can be corrected for the next time I brew it that would be awesome.
So, any thoughts? I humbly ask the community for their superior wisdom and knowledge. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would have added some carapils or even some caramel 10L. Most likely in the case of that beer, I would have gone with a little carapils. I feel the oats add to mouthfeel but there is little there that helps with head retention plus you have the orange peel that has natural oils and that doesn't help matters.

I suspected the orange peels, oz there a way to add head without increasing sweetness? I've brewed a wheat with c10 and I'vd brewed it with carapils and they both added flavor that I didn't want In The beer

That is the exact stuff I use. 1 oz sweet 1 oz bitter.

Try throwing in 8 oz of maltodextrin powder for a 10 gallon batch.

I don't understand how the foam control stuff works in the boil but does not adversely affect the finished beer. That gets my vote. Boil overs nearly all happen at the beginning of the boil and are easily prevented. Adding hops prior to boiling cuts the surface tension and helps alot. You can also blow on the foam and it will recede until it is under control.

Also, pitching temp was no provided. Pitching at warmer temps can also adversely affect foam stability.

Next pour, hand wash the glass and rinse well to rule out the dishwasher too.

I also don't fully understand the physics behind the foam control stuff. Bit I use it in everything and the problem is unique to my wit. I pitched at about 67*. The dishwasher thing may be but I only have this problem with this beer so I'm assuming not but I'll try it anyway.
Thank you all for your responses. It's nice to know I have a place to go.

Back