HBT NFL '08 thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yup, for a year...Portis is a power back, he gives every damn play his all...even when he doesn't get the ball, he's blocking like a damn lineman. Which is why you see Betts in his place every few plays...that sh*t tires you out. And now that Ladell is out for at least a few weeks, I guess they decided they had to have an immediate replacement. Here's hoping he finds newfound glory in DC.

Here's hoping that Alexander starts trying again...

Well, with Homo out, and TO crying like a baby all the time, and Pacman on the verge of a goddamn prison sentence, I'd say that they have to be pretty distracted...

Still, wouldn't you rather be with a distracted Cowboys team than the Lions (all things being equal)?

Still, wouldn't you rather be with a distracted Cowboys team than the Lions (all things being equal)?

No, a thousand times, no. All things being equal means, I surmise, pay? If yes, then I'll take the Lions any day of the week, even if it's a record-settingly bad team that can't win a game. Just the thought of walking around with that ugly blue star on me...makes me want to gag.

The only reason I'd play for the Cowboys would be to throw games. :D

No, a thousand times, no. All things being equal means, I surmise, pay? If yes, then I'll take the Lions any day of the week, even if it's a record-settingly bad team that can't win a game. Just the thought of walking around with that ugly blue star on me...makes me want to gag.

The only reason I'd play for the Cowboys would be to throw games. :D

By "all things being equal," I meant wouldn't someone who doesn't have a burning hatred for the Cowboys rather join a team with a possibility of winning rather than stay with the lowly Lions.

I did, however, expect this response from you. :D

How 'bout Them Cowboys!? :D:D:D:D Lost the last 3 of 4. Nice job, dingleberries. HA! Meanwhile, the skins survived another one by the skin of my nuts, and My Man Clin-ton leads the NFL with 818 rushing yards through only 7 games. Talk about a beast. That mf'er is inSANE!

Stupid 49'ers couldn't finish off Eli, though, so it wasn't quite perfect this week...

Not a bad day. I didnt get to watch the game because of work but the power was in and out anyways. But 5-1 isnt bad. Jets and Miami lost, both in our division so when the Pats lose tomorrow it will be even better. Miami next week is a winnable game, Jets the week after that. Football life is good.

Not a bad day. I didnt get to watch the game because of work but the power was in and out anyways. But 5-1 isnt bad. Jets and Miami lost, both in our division so when the Pats lose tomorrow it will be even better. Miami next week is a winnable game, Jets the week after that. Football life is good.

So much for San Diego being the best team in the AFC...

Oh and the Lions let a team get up by 21 in the first half, AGAIN!

We were busy doing drywall and painting. About 1 hour into the game my wife flips on the Lions. I see her make a bad face and turn it back to music. That bad, huh? She said she didn't want me to know because I'd just get upset and then won't be able to enjoy the rest of the afternoon (uh, we're already sanding drywall and painting, so how good is my afternoon NOW?)

I'm already numb on the Lions. They may not win any games this year. Now I did not watch the game, but I can imagine how they must have sucked to be down by 21 point early once again.

We were busy doing drywall and painting. About 1 hour into the game my wife flips on the Lions. I see her make a bad face and turn it back to music. That bad, huh? She said she didn't want me to know because I'd just get upset and then won't be able to enjoy the rest of the afternoon (uh, we're already sanding drywall and painting, so how good is my afternoon NOW?)

I'm already numb on the Lions. They may not win any games this year. Now I did not watch the game, but I can imagine how they must have sucked to be down by 21 point early once again.

Why would them losing ruin your afternoon? You'd think it'd be par for the course by now. Unless the entire team went down in a plane crash, I fail to see how you could get upset.

Why would them losing ruin your afternoon? You'd think it'd be par for the course by now. Unless the entire team went down in a plane crash, I fail to see how you could get upset.

Then you must not be a real fan, *****ie. :D

The Lions suck and I know it. I continue to shell out $250 a year so I can watch all of their games, I continue to go to games when I can. They're my team... even when I know that they're going to lose I still have to watch, and I still get upset.

I recall a certain Redskins fan who was not very happy after week 1.

Then you must not be a real fan, *****ie. :D

The Lions suck and I know it. I continue to shell out $250 a year so I can watch all of their games, I continue to go to games when I can. They're my team... even when I know that they're going to lose I still have to watch, and I still get upset.

I recall a certain Redskins fan who was not very happy after week 1.

Yeah, but I had higher expectations. And hell yeah, I always fly the Skins Nation Flag high. Alls I'm saying is, when the skins are having a crappy year (which hasn't exactly been rare over the past 15 years), a loss doesn't sting as much as, say, last week's loss to the hapless Rams. It's as much about expectations...

Yeah, but I had higher expectations. And hell yeah, I always fly the Skins Nation Flag high. Alls I'm saying is, when the skins are having a crappy year (which hasn't exactly been rare over the past 15 years), a loss doesn't sting as much as, say, last week's loss to the hapless Rams. It's as much about expectations...

Higher expectations in week 1? The Lions were the only team to go undefeated in the Preseason (I know, I know, its preaseason). This team always shows a flash of genius and then flames out--you just never know how they're going to lose. :D

I got a good feeling about next week, though. :D

Higher expectations in week 1? The Lions were the only team to go undefeated in the Preseason (I know, I know, its preaseason). This team always shows a flash of genius and then flames out--you just never know how they're going to lose. :D

I got a good feeling about next week, though. :D

I had higher expectations about their level of play. I also had higher expectations about NY's level of play, but they both underwhelmed me. It's not so much that I was surprised they lost, it's just that they looked so awful, and the coaching was hideous. Which is why I said what I said.

Don't count Rodney out yet. He's had about three "career-ending" injuries, what's a fourth?

They had John Lynch in camp this summer, and specifically made note that "the door isn't closed forever" when they cut him. Not sure how much he has left in the tank, but they though Rodney was D-U-N when they signed him what, six years ago?

They'll survive. Need to see Merriweather and James Sanders continue to improve to pick up the slack, with or without John Lynch.

I never said they wouldn't survive, but that article didn't sound too optimistic. RH doesn't carry that team, so it's not the end of the world, but really, a 15 year veteran with an injury like that, it'd really surprise me if he came back. 5 years ago, sure, but this late in his career?

It sure looked like he thought it was the end when he was carted off, but he had a "career-ending" injury LAST year. We'll see; he;s always seemed like the kind of guy who would HATE to end his career on this kind of note, to (literally) not be able to walk off on his own terms.

Did anyone see the cardinals panthers? Steve Smith.... out of bounds... right foot... out of bounds...???? Not even a challenge changed it????

I'm Pissed

Giants are 6-1 :mug:

It was a pretty nerve racking game and I wasn't to impressed until the end when they really put a stop to the Stealers.

I can't wait to go to the Dallas game next week!! :ban:

Steelers DESERVED to lose ! I hate the Giants, but the 4th q for the steelers was pretty bad ..

I am an Eagles fan, actually

I was at the Saints-Chargers game at Wembley last night. It was fantastic, and it kicked the arse of the swamp bowl we had last year. I'd seen highlights of Tomlinson before and was pretty impressed from them, but when you see the guy live, you realise he just moves differently to other human beings. The guy's a phenom.

One thing I didn't get though, and which I'd love to have explained to me by wiser souls - near the end of the game, the Saints were up by seven and had a fourth down with 14 seconds to go. They took a safety and then kicked off to Sproules, who took it back 40-odd yards, setting up a last second Hail Mary. I can understand trying to run down the clock, but if you're not going to be able to take off all 14 seconds on the safety, why not punt it on fourth down? The Chargers would still end up with a Hail Mary chance to win it, but by giving them a safety and the ball, it just meant that had they made the Hail Mary, the Saints would have lost instead of going into overtime. I thought that was a potential bonehead play. Though it made for a great finish.

Where did they have to punt from, though (if they didn't take the safety)? The Pats did that a few years back when they were backed up into the end zone, gave away the points in exchange for field position. If you cover the post-punt safety well and can get them down at their 30 or so, it's a LOT harder to complete a 70-yard hail mary than a 50-yard (assuming they were inside their 20 when they took the safety).

IIRC the field position was pretty similar for a punt or for the post-safety kickoff (around their own 25 yard line). I guess they thought they'd take seven or eight seconds off with the safety, which was a decent plus as the Chargers were out of timeouts. And maybe they figured they'd do a better job of kickoff coverage than they did, although I'm not sure kicking it to Sproules was a great idea. They got the win which is all that matters, but it just seemed like they made it a much more laxative experience for themselves than it needed to be. :D

Good win for the Titans last night, I'm glad they could pull it out. Who'da thunk that FatDale would be leading the NFL in touchdowns through the halfway point? Ca-razy!

GB next week will be a great test for them. I think it will be a great game. Titans Run D last night looked the weakest I've seen all year, but hopefully their secondary with Finnegan and Fuller will be able to contain Rodgers' pass game against Driver. Ugh, I'm nervous.

Back