HBT NFL '08 thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those championships, it was the system + great QB. Now it is the same solid system, but I highly doubt this QB is anymore than half as good as TB...

Matt Cassel is a more than adequate substitute for anyone, doing anything. As evidence of his talent and versatility, here's a clip of him singing a Backstreet Boys song. He's so awesome, you'd swear you were actually at a Backstreet Boys concert.

[youtube]IrROLWbtTzY[/youtube]

is it just me, or does FB season this year seem to be completely unpredictable...moreso than previous years? Or have I just lost it?

is it just me, or does FB season this year seem to be completely unpredictable...moreso than previous years? Or have I just lost it?

Pretty predictable for us Lions fans. :mad:

How does a defensive minded head coach field a team with such a s**tty defense?

On another note, Buckhalter's leaping touchdown was impressive.

is it just me, or does FB season this year seem to be completely unpredictable...moreso than previous years?
Sure feels that way. My predictions are sucking so bad I might switch to sticking a pin in the paper at random :drunk:

Sure feels that way. My predictions are sucking so bad I might switch to sticking a pin in the paper at random :drunk:

Yeah I agree the point spreads have been killing me the past couple of weeks.

On another note GAH!!! the G-Men freakin kill me! I'm just so happy their deffense was able to get a 3 and out in OT to give the ball back to their defense! :ban:

It's nice to see all the boneheads at espn eating blue star-crusted crow today (after they all picked GB)!

How 'bout them cowboys!

It's nice to see all the boneheads at espn eating blue star-crusted crow today (after they all picked GB)!

How 'bout them cowboys!

I knew that was a FAIL by the middle of Q2. Dallas owned the line both offensively and defensively. It was just a matter of time before the Packers stamina was toast. The Boys offensive line is HUGE! Made the Packers down 4 look like college players. Def coordinator should be beat down for not changing up the scheme a little. Zero Romo pressure for the most part.

Good game for the Cowboys and its going to be fun watching the NFC East beat on each other. Definitely the toughest division out there.

I was exhausted so I only saw a little bit of the game - but I did see one Rodgers pass that made it look like he paid way too much attention to Favre in practice. Ball was around their 20, Rodgers was getting pressured, kinda backpeddling away from it and he tossed up a duck that was nearly intercepted.

How did he look otherwise?

I was exhausted so I only saw a little bit of the game - but I did see one Rodgers pass that made it look like he paid way too much attention to Favre in practice. Ball was around their 20, Rodgers was getting pressured, kinda backpeddling away from it and he tossed up a duck that was nearly intercepted.

How did he look otherwise?

That was about the only bonehead play that I recall. No passing touchdowns (one QB sneak for a TD) and no interceptions. No rushing and a lot of pressure on him all night. So, didn't look great but didn't force it with dumb mistakes. I'd give him a C. Dallas just owned pretty much all aspects of the game.

Yeah, it wasn't really the QBs that were the difference, and I didn't expect that it would be. In fact, I didn't think Romo played particularly better than Rodgers. I thought the major difference was the play at the line of scrimmage and the ability to move the ball on the ground. Dallas was able to run up and down the field at will.

Yeah, it wasn't really the QBs that were the difference, and I didn't expect that it would be. In fact, I didn't think Romo played particularly better than Rodgers. I thought the major difference was the play at the line of scrimmage and the ability to move the ball on the ground. Dallas was able to run up and down the field at will.

yea, just look at the yard breakdown:

Total-
Dallas - 453, Green Bay - 334

Rushing-
Dallas - 217, Green Bay - 84

That is some serious o-line disparity

Barber's a TOUGH back. I love to watch guys like that run. He runs like he's got a little bit of Earl Campbell in him. Madden said he reminded him of Walter Payton, but I think Campbell is the standard by which all tough running backs should be compared. Don't get me wrong, Payton was GREAT and he definately had a longer sustained career. It's too bad Earl's literally a cripple now. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I did see enough of Barber to think... he's good. He's REAL good. That's what scares me about Dallas this year, they can really pound it with him, but then they've also got TO and Romo to make plays downfield (when Romo's little-girl hands don't fail him; he seems to have more bad fumbles than anyone else in the league).

I see Jeff Garcia's now third-string in Tampa Bay. I'd *love* to see Belichick throw a low draft pick at the Bucs to pick him up; he's not exactly prototypical for how the Pats QBs play, and it would presumably take him a little while to get up to speed, but I think he's probably been the most underappreciated QB in the league over the past decade. You know his TD-Int ratio is 2:1 over his career? Career 87.0 passer rating? Almost idential passer rating last year (94.6 versus 95.7) to Favre, seventh-best in the League. 8-5 in the regular-season games he played last year, for a team that really wasn't expected to do all that much (FWIW, they were 1-2 in games he sat out).

Seems like a guy who's going to help you win a few more games than Matt Cassel. At the very least, it's be nice to actually have a backup QB that's had more than a half-dozen pass attempts in their career.

Won't happen, though... :(

If they bin off Cassel for Garcia (or anyone) now, that'd be it for Cassel's Pats career. They've invested years in him, having him learning the scheme behind Brady, and if they ditch him now I can't see his confidence ever recovering to the point where he can contribute to the club. It'll be like Tony Eason all over again.

Yeah, I don't think it'd necessarily be a bad move, but it would be a pretty final one for Cassel. I worry that the problem isn't isolated to QB - there was precious little from the running game and the defense on Sunday, and it wasn't even like they were playing a great team. Leaking thirty-some points to the 'fins at home was a pretty ugly sign that there's a lot of work to be done.

But hey, it's not all bad. Gostkowski's really been nailing his kickoffs this year :D

Maroney's got to prove himself worthy of being a lead back. Even when he's healthy, he's good... but he's not someone who's going to carry the team on his back. The biggest weapon, Moss, is worthless without a decent QB.

The thing about Cassel is that really, his medicority isn't a surprise. He's never really shown a lot when he got some snaps in preseason (remember, they were 0-4 in preseason, no Brady, and looked pretty ugly at times). Unless something dramatically changes, he'll be shown the door in the offseason, Brady will be back and they drafted another QB in the third round who you would think has a decent chance of being the backup in '09.

On another note, I never would have guessed that Favre has never in his career brought a team back from being down more than 14 points. REALLY? Huh...

Was it just me, or were the announcers tonight even more on Favre's dick than John Madden has ever been? It doesn't usually bother me that much, but it was finally just - "C'mon guys, your JOB is to find interesting things about the game to talk about, not to just take the easy way out and talk about Favre for three hours!"

I'm doing the freaking happy dance. I checked first thing this morning and there was no news of him getting canned. Now I'm a happy dude.

Of course this will not change the fortunes of the team for at least another 2 or 3 seasons, but it's a much needed change. If old man Ford really wants to turn this team around he'll pull bring Kevin Colbert back to the Lions (current Steelers personnel guy), bring Holmgren in as GM, or throw so much moiney at Scott Pioli that he won't be able to say no.

I think this calls for some 'naners.

:ban::ban::ban::ban:

Pioli's probably the best GM/quasi-GM in the league. I'm pretty sure they'd have to promise him basically full autonomy before the Pats would be obligated to let them talk to him, though. Losing Scott would really, really, REALLY suck.

Pioli's probably the best GM/quasi-GM in the league. I'm pretty sure they'd have to promise him basically full autonomy before the Pats would be obligated to let them talk to him, though. Losing Scott would really, really, REALLY suck.

Old Man Ford gave complete control to a dupe like Millen. If they hire someone (instead of promoting assistant GM Martin Mayhew), that person will come in with total and complete control, and make $5mill a year.

I know you're not... but I'm certainly hoping that they make a run at Pioli.

How about the NFC East getting some serious respect these days...

NFC East dominates the weekly rankings

I can't wait until the G-Men play Dallas and Philly. The Hype is gona be huge if things stay the way they are. Not to mention I think I am lined up to go to those games :ban:

I am so jealous of you if you do get to go to either of those games.

I am so jealous of you if you do get to go to either of those games.

My old man is a season ticket holder, upper deck 46 yard line. He just devorced my step mom so now I pretty much have first picks at what games I want to go too which is awesome.... sort of.... except for the whole devorce thing. But yeah I am lucky thats for sure.

What I found interesting when looking at the schedule is that the Giants don't play Dallas or Philly till November and then it seems like non stop divisional games

My old man is a season ticket holder, upper deck 46 yard line. He just devorced my step mom so now I pretty much have first picks at what games I want to go too which is awesome.... sort of.... except for the whole devorce thing. But yeah I am lucky thats for sure.

What I found interesting when looking at the schedule is that the Giants don't play Dallas or Philly till November and then it seems like non stop divisional games

You don't understand though... I moved to California from NYC. I don't have DirecTV so I watch Giants football games on nfl.com through the stupid box score crap. Actually seeing a Giants game on TV, let alone in person when they are playing Philly or Dallas is a DREAM!

Latest posts

Back