Hazy weird fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colhep67

Reaction score
So I introduced my roommate to brewing. This is only his second batch. Well he made up his own kinda sorta honey lager. Here is the recipe:
1/2 lb amber malt extract
1/2 lb light malt extract
1 lb honey
1/2 oz willament hops
1/2 oz liberty hops
And some kind of coopers pre-hopped lager extract-2.2 lbs if I recall correctly

I have never seen a fermentation like this. We are on day 2.

Super hazy. Is this maybe normal?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

1390982649539.jpg

BTW I usually do partial extract so this is super new to me!

Added the honey 5 mins before flameout and cooled it in an ice bath

Sorry ice bath and cold bottled spring water addition

That's a lot of Honey in that recipe! To my knowledge honey is almost 100% fermentable. 50% sugar would make for a REALLY strong/dry brew. Let me know how this one turns out! I've got access to honey whenever I want so I'd be willing to give it a shot if this turns out good!

Will do!

My honey weizen looked pretty cloudy when I transferred it. 1 lb of honey isn't that much My honey weizen came with 2 lbs of honey (5 gallon batch). I added about a 1/2-3/4 lb extra. It will be almost 10%. I tasted it when I transferred it and it tasted good. I can't wait to taste it after I bottle it.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/honey-weizen-kit.html

That's a lot of Honey in that recipe! To my knowledge honey is almost 100% fermentable. 50% sugar would make for a REALLY strong/dry brew. Let me know how this one turns out! I've got access to honey whenever I want so I'd be willing to give it a shot if this turns out good!

Oops, I didn't see where you used the 2.2 lbs of additional extract...in that case I was wrong about what I posted above. One too many Homebrews:cross:

Latest posts

Back