hazulnuts in brown ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justio

Reaction score
I just posted this same thread on the beginner forum, since I am a beginner.. But I figured it made sense to post it on the all grain forum as well.

So, I'm making a 10 gal batch of an American Brown Ale, but w/ hazelnut. I wanted to try fresh roasted hazelnuts in the boil vs an extract.

Anyone out there used roasted hazelnuts in a brew before and have an opinion on how much I should use?

hmm I love hazel nut in my coffee....never crossed my mind for beer....dude i say try it...whats the worst that can happen a batch of bad beer?

Hazelnut extract is available at your local HBS. I used the 2oz bottle in a five gallon batch and got a nice subtle hint of flavor.

did you put the 2 oz in the boil, primary, secondary or when you bottled it? thanks!

For what its worth, Rogue has a hazelnut brown ale that is fantastic. I think they only sell it in bombers, so check your local bottle shop. If you are going the extract route, you could also just add a little extract to any brown ale you want and experiment to see how you like it before you go for a whole batch.

I have added chocolate and vanilla extracts before. I tend to add them to the secondary so you don't get aroma outgassing from the yeast. I have added chocolate at bottling time, but it is one extra step that you probably don't need.

I just tapped 5 gallons of a Hazelnut Coffee Brown, personally I would just use 1 oz. of extract. 2 oz was a bit much for 5 gal.
Added directly to the keg.

cheers

I brewed a pecan porter and double toasted (put in a paper bag between toastings to absorb oil) about a pound of chopped nuts (5 gallon batch) and put it in the mash tun along with the grains. The beer was very tasty and had ample head retention.

I had the Rogue hazelnut brown. It was interesting - the smell reminded me of the grain smell from the mash tun. I mailed Rogue to inquire if that taste was the hazelnut and they agreed.

Though I didn't taste the hazelnut like you do in coffee, liquor, etc.

I would toast them slowly in the oven @ 300 then add them to the secondary, or the primary after the initial fermentation.

Sorry for offending: If you have a palette, stay clear of the extracts.

It will probably kill head retention, but who cares. Go for flavor!!

Back