having trouble with my water report on Bru'n water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teej_810

Reaction score
When I enter my water profile on bru'n water on the input page, the ion balance results say "water report is unbalanced". I've checked my numbers multiple times so is there a part of my water report that might be out of the norm of where it should be based on the other numbers? Otherwise how does my water report look? Should I be worried about the little chlorine in my tap water?

water profile for Roanoke, VA (crystal springs treatment plant)

ph-7.8
Na-3.36 ppm
CL-5.93 ppm
Alkanility-122 ppm
Ca (calcium hardness)-82 ppm
Mg(magnesium hardness)-57 ppm
Sulfate-2.77ppm

That's not terribly badly balanced at an imbalance of 0.27 mVal which is about as good as most Ward Labs reports. Did you convert the hardness numbers to 'as the ion' or tic the hardness box (if the spreadsheet has one)?

When asking about chlorine are you really asking about chlorine (which you don't list) or the chloride? Assuming it is the latter, yes, that is low and you will want to supplement it for most beers. Just add some calcium chloride.

Be sure to convert those Ca and Mg hardness values to their actual concentrations. There are calculators at the bottom of the water report input sheet to aid in that conversion.

Back