having trouble getting the right color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edb23

Reaction score
so I just pulled a sample of both my mild and my belgian IPA, and while they taste just right, the color on both is a lighter then I had anticipated, a little in the mild and a lot in the belgian. I use the BIAB method, is there a chance some of my specialty malts aren't getting utilized? what can i do to fix this

It will look a lot lighter in a small shot glass than in a pint glass. More liquid = more appearance of color because well, there is more color.

how much lighter though. The IPA is supposed to be a real solid amber and it looked almost like a pilsner

BIAB won't change the color or utilization of grains so that can be ruled out. My Irish red (BIAB) looks a LOT lighter in a small sample compared to a pint glass (small sample looked more like a light amber and the pint was a very deep dark red). it's along the same lines of a pilsner looking way to dark in the carboy compared to a pint. more volume means more color. less volume means less color.

If you are in fact low on color I would look more towards the crush. A friend of mine used my Irish Red recipe and his came out much lighter. The only difference was the crush. Mine was crushed much better (thanks Brewmasters Warehouse) than the grain from his LHBS. Equipment was the same (it was my equipment), the procedure was the same (I was assisting him on his first brew) water was the same (my well water), same everything except the crush.

how much lighter though. The IPA is supposed to be a real solid amber and it looked almost like a pilsner

Not sure how much redder it will get but I don't think you need to worry about it at this point. If it is to light when it is finished, make it a little darker next time.

I guess i'll just wait and see how it looks in the glass, the milling might be a problem so ill check into that

Back