Having a hiccup while trying to force carb keg. Help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonny Saucedo

Reaction score
Okay. I am new to homebrewing but have a pretty nice setup. I have a pin keg I just transferred my pale ale into. While connecting the white plastic connector to the gas "in" side, I tried setting the pressure and I found it is leaking out of the plastic piece. Does this need to be replaced? Or am I just not putting it on right? Should I try with keg lube or something?

Attachments

• 20190619_105931.jpg
    20190619_105931.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • 20190619_105954_HDR.jpg
    20190619_105954_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
Where exactly is it leaking? Between connector and post, under post on keg, top of connector? A little lube couldn't hurt. Hook it up, spray with star san or soapy water and snap a pic.

a dab of keg lube may help. The O-ring may have just rolled on the keg. I've also had the flat head on top of the ball lock leak slightly, and a quick twist (do not overtighten) was enough to have to not leak. Spraying the keg with sanitizer or soapy water will help you determine the source of the leak.

a dab of keg lube may help. The O-ring may have just rolled on the keg. I've also had the flat head on top of the ball lock leak slightly, and a quick twist (do not overtighten) was enough to have to not leak. Spraying the keg with sanitizer or soapy water will help you determine the source of the leak.
Is the connector supposed to have an I ring in it?

No the quick dis-connect fitting should not have an o-ring. If it’s leaking out of the plastic it may be a faulty quick connect. Try using a new one. Also, just to be clear and I’m being anal...you actually have a ball lock keg and QDs not pin locks. As others have mention spray some starsan on them and see exactly where the leak is coming from. Good luck dude and welcome

Try tightening your hose clamps. Sometimes when I connect the QDs I can turn them to tighten the post down. I’ve had some leaks while connected and that has fixed it for me.

No the quick dis-connect fitting should not have an o-ring. If it’s leaking out of the plastic it may be a faulty quick connect. Try using a new one. Also, just to be clear and I’m being anal...you actually have a ball lock keg and QDs not pin locks. As others have mention spray some starsan on them and see exactly where the leak is coming from. Good luck dude and welcome

Try tightening your hose clamps. Sometimes when I connect the QDs I can turn them to tighten the post down. I’ve had some leaks while connected and that has fixed it for me.
Ok I put a new.one on and thank you for clarifying what keg I have. Any information I can get is helpful. So the new clamp and connect worked! So do I pressure it a 20psi for a couple days?

Okay. Switched the connector and the problem stopped. Here is what it looks like now. The pressure is at 20psi and I shook the keg for a few minutes. Let me know if I'm doing this right

Attachments

• 20190619_114525_HDR.jpg
    20190619_114525_HDR.jpg
    976.3 KB · Views: 53
:yes: That will work.

If you're feeling froggy, hook up the liquid line (black connector) to the co2 while carbing, the co2 will bubble through the liquid line at the bottom. Don't know if it helps, but I can hear it while shaking to know if I'm getting close.

I never shake my kegs while carbonating. I either set it at 12-14 psi and leave it for 10 days or I force carb at 30psi for 24 hrs then turn down to 12-14 psi for serving. I live in Denver and my beer lines are 10’

:yes: That will work.

If you're feeling froggy, hook up the liquid line (black connector) to the co2 while carbing, the co2 will bubble through the liquid line at the bottom. Don't know if it helps, but I can hear it while shaking to know if I'm getting close.
Okay so it started leaking again so I drove to my local HB supply store and we found i uad the connectors backwards! Liquid out on the gas in side. He said it was a common mistake and to remember the knotched side is for the gas line. I'm growing impatient so I might set the pressure to force carb. Currently at 13 psi.

Okay so it started leaking again so I drove to my local HB supply store and we found i uad the connectors backwards! Liquid out on the gas in side. He said it was a common mistake and to remember the knotched side is for the gas line. I'm growing impatient so I might set the pressure to force carb. Currently at 13 psi.
Hook up the line from your co2 to a black fitting, put it on the “out” post, crank pressure to 30, and sit there and rock it for about 30 min. Switch the fittings back to normal. If it’s already cold, you can enjoy a beer in a half hour. It won’t have great head retention, but it will improve in time.

I had this issues doing the same thing. I had bought 2 kegs used and promptly took them all apart, cleaned and sanitized them, then put them back together. Had issues with them both leaking one was the other was spitting liquid. Finally figured out that mixed the posts and had both gas on one and 2 liquid on the other.

Ordered a 4 pack of pin lock from AIH that night and never had that issue again.

Back