haven't had an infection in a while....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
The last infection I had was probably 25 batches or so ago and I finally realized that I was not sanitizing a mr beer lbk properly (wasn't taking the spigot out) . So, I brewed a porter with cereal in the mash (reese's puffs) a month ago and it now has white bubbly film all over it. I beleive someone told me it was lacto??? anyway, it tasted sour as well. Something The Bruery might be proud of. I've already got all my kegs dedicated (8) so I went ahead and dumped it. BTW - I brewed another beer same day, same equipment, same process that tastes great.

1) would you have dumped it or just called it a sour and rolled on?

2) it was in a better bottle, is it ruined or will a good overnight oxiclean soak and sanitizer fix it?

:smack::smack::smack: DUMPED IT !?!?!? :smack::smack::smack:

I would have called it sour and rejoiced!!!

what about the better bottle?

if it happens again and i keg, do i need that keg and line dedicated to sours?

what about the better bottle?

if it happens again and i keg, do i need that keg and line dedicated to sours?

TL;DR in theory, no. in practice...your call.

The line itself definitely needs to be dedicated to sours; I assume it's a plastic hose, and these are cheap enough that it would be foolish to gamble 5 gallons of beer on a few dollars of hose.
The keg (and I suppose the line, if it's stainless steel) does not need to be dedicated to sours as long as it has no scratches or pits that might harbor bacteria. The thing is, scratches and pitting aren't always visible to the naked eye, so even if you could see inside your keg, you wouldn't be able to see those microscopic imperfections that provide bacteria a home.

Latest posts

Back