Have you had someone take credit for your HB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikescooling

Reaction score
I have a long time family friend who is getting older and a little crazy. He will claim the beer or wort I gave him is his product. I'm not offended by this, I even help him in his story. When he starts one of these stories and can't answer a question and refers to me, I say "I was under the expert instruction of a senior brewer". But in truth, I was the one who made it. Have any of you ever had someone take credit for your HB?

Hm... I've never had that happen, but if one of the friends who I give my brews to said that, I'm 95% they'd actually be joking, just judging from the sarcastic and silly personalities of the friends who I give my homebrews to.

If I gave it to someone and they did that in front of me and I knew they were serious, I would wonder if they were just waiting for me to say "Actually I brewed that" because I wouldn't be able to grasp why they would lie about something like that right in front me. In fact, I don't really know why they would lie about it if I wasn't even around, but that might make a little more sense.

Can't say I'd get mad about it. But it certainly could make me confused.

I've worked in a retirement home, and if there's one thing I took away from that experience is you have to cut them some slack. When I get old, I'm going to be crazy as heck too. As he's telling his story, he gets questions he can't answer, like what went into it, and he still thinks the three pots on my brew stand are the fermenters. The friends and family, know I am the major producer of beer. I should take it as a complement. I was curious if anyone else had this happen to them.

You should read the "Things Billy Klubb should say in publc" thread, and inject some of that in the conversation. I'll see your crazy and raise you one.

Just brew for the pleasure of doing it, only give away your best brews,
accept feedback when its offered, but don't worry about what other people say. Just my 2 cents, that and another $10 will get you a decent six pack. Cheers!

Yea, I used to work long term care and generally you just gotta let what they say ride, some days are good some days are bad. The good ones you can have some great conversations (seriously, talk to 'old people', you get some pretty amazing stories), the bad days they are at least interesting, patience is the key cause we're all gonna be nutters one day :D .

My friends have always deferred the credit to me, even on the batches we've done cooperatively. Sometimes they even talk up the batches I wasn't happy with, and I feel like I have to tone down people's expectations. ;)

If he really doesn't know any better, that's one thing. If I gave him some HB that he had no involvement with, and he proceeded to pass it on to someone else and claim he did it, that would offend me.

Not my homebrew, but my work, yes. People take credit for almost everything I do, or at least avoid giving me any props.

Wow, crazy, kind of reminds me of Dr. Evil's father.

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Not my homebrew, but my work, yes. People take credit for almost everything I do, or at least avoid giving me any props.

Unfortunately stealing credit for work is all too common. Politicians are particularly adept at this.

Brew on :mug:

I have a good friend that helps me out sometimes in my brewing. Mostly he's there so I have someone to talk to and free beer witch I don't mind. Before he was married though he would tell girls that he was trying to hook up with that he was a home brewer. It was kinda funny one night when the girl he was trying to hook up with was a home brewer as well and started asking questions about what he's made and favorite style and stuff like that. Needless to say I had about 50 text in an hour from him that night. I still laugh my butt off every time I think about it.

I'm sure people know he's making it up as he goes along so although it's weird I would think no harm-no foul.

Back