Have I done anything wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demzly

Reaction score
Hi,

Im posting this here as I got advice on the subject a little while ago here and thought I would follow up too see if I have ruined my brew.

Ok, It is my 1st venture into mashing grain. I have brewed a partial mash Dry stout.
Ingredients:
1.6kg amber LME
250g Crushed pale malt
250g Flaked Barley
200g Roasted barley
125g Chocolate malt

20g EKG for 60 mins

Safale S-04 (Was the only yeast left in LHBS)

My query is regarding my technique and If I have done anything wrong?

Not having a Mash Tun I had to do it stove top style. Here is my method.
1, Flaked barley and Pale malt are in muslin in approx 1gallon of water around 67c/157F for 1 hour.
2, At 30 mins left, Roasted barley and chocolate malt go in
- Throughout this 'Mash' process i stirred it occasionally and tried to maintain temperature but there was some fluctuation.
3, out came the grains and I poured cold water into the muslin until it was clearing when coming pout the bottom.
4, brought to the boil and threw in the hops for 1 hr
5, added LME at the end of boil and then added all to the FV, then topped up to 15 L

The problem is that there appears to be a fair bit of residual grain in the FV now and being my 1st time 'Mashing' Im not sure that the flaked barley/pale malt were done correctly?

Can anybody help ?

Thanks in advance

Its floating at the top

Im pretty sure it is just very fine grain particles

Either that or I have some kind of granular infection on day 1 :/

demzly said:
Its floating at the top

Im pretty sure it is just very fine grain particles

Either that or I have some kind of granular infection on day 1 :/

Most likely neither. If it is grain, its not a big deal anyways.

If it is neither then what would you suggest it coule be?

Trub, which is technically particles from the grain, very tiny and normal in every beer. It will fall out (down) as fermentation happens. You'll then carefully siphon everything from the top and leave it behind.

It is probably a little grain and a little hop and it's nothing to worry to about. As already stated this stuff will just settle out as fermentation occurs and wind up in the bottom of the vessel along with the yeast once fermentation is complete.

Latest posts

Back