Have a problem!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronnyg0891

Reaction score
My buddy loves to brew and I figured since I was building a bar in my new house that we would put his beer on tap. I can not answer to many technical questions about the brewing process so hopefully someone can help me out. He has been bottling but this was his first keg project.

After kegging the beer and getting everything setup in the fridge I began to force carbonate the keg. After about 3 days I decided to finish the setup of the taps. I connect all the locks and realize that I have beer shooting all over the place (the spout was loose and spraying from the holes). The locks are frozen on and I had to break off the out line. I move the keg from my fridge (since I had to clean up the mess) into my slop sink and finish up clean up. Foolishly I got caught up in a phone call and forgot that I left the keg in the sink until about a day or so later. I reattach all the lines and pour a sample its still carbonated but has an off smell to it. I keep everything attached with CO2 flowing and over time the smell disappears BUT now the taste is a bit off. Is this a contamination issue or have I basically skunked the beer from being cold and carbonated to warm and slightly carbonated to cold and recarbonated?

I want to make sure that we don't make this mistake again. I am hoping to salvage what is left. Any suggestions?

Infection is unlikely but possible at this point. Have you considered the aging of and the co2 impact on the beer and how that impacts flavor, taste, etc. I bet it's one or both of these over a infection but only checking or waiting will tell.

See what happens over the next week. I've have beers get better and worse over 24 hours. Maybe subtly but I noticed. At least I felt I did.

I have found that as the beer sits with constant carbonation that both the smell and taste have been changing. It has only been on the line now for about 10 days with constant carbonation (after the initial issues). I will continue to monitor it and see what happens.

I was curious as to what possible issues there could be since everyone that tries it has a different opinion of what the problem is.

Latest posts

Back