Haus Pale Ale @ 25 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrubDog

Reaction score
It's been cold for several weeks in a row - the high teens at night and a little above freezing during the day. The weather report looked ok for today so I brewed a batch of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. I boil in the garage (door open) and by boil time it was 27 degrees. It took about 25 minutes to get a good boil going and by the end of the boil it was 25 and snowing. I kept the hoses in the garage next to the boil pot and when it came time to hook them up to the IC nothing came out! I kept the faucet on and after 3 or 4 minutes water started to flow. It only took 8 minutes to get the pot down to 75!

Although everything went well I am going to need a plan B for winter brewing. I don't have an inside water source to hook up a hose to so I need to get creative. I've heard about using a cooler, a pump and ice water. Does anyone have any experience with this. I typically do 5 gal batches.

Put a T and a valve under the kitchen sink with the right connection for your IC. Should be very cheap and quite simple to do. Also, its temporary. It's not like you're drilling holes or anything.

IiffyG - The cold water hookup for the clothes washer is perfect! I never thought of it. The laundry room is next to the kitchen so I can use the IC next to the sink. The best thing is that this solution doesn't cost anything!

Back