Hauling my brew in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s89bunton

Reaction score
My buddy and I have been brewing at his house. He is now moving for school. We have two beers in the primary currently. I'm moving the setup to my house and was wondering if ill have any problems moving in the primary. I've never moved my beer more than a few feet to keg. I'm sure it will slosh around in my car. Not sure if this will make any difference. I plan on letting the beers sit for about a week or two once I get home. I should add that both are already fully fermented just waiting to be put in kegs.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Do your best to minimize sloshing, but the effect will be minimal if there's already a good CO2 layer in the headspace to prevent oxygenation. Your trub will probably get stirred up a bit, so just allow a couple days after the transport for everything to settle before you rack to the keg.

Even better, rack to the kegs at your buddy's house, purge the headspace with CO2, and transport the beer home in the keg. Nothing really can go wrong that way.

I'm not sure why you're asking.

It must be obvious that racking to purged kegs and sealing your beer for transport is a good option; but there must be some reason you aren't going that route. So it seems that you'll transport in the primary vessels either way, right? Maybe it'll oxidize, maybe it'll splash or break, maybe it'll rouse sediment, maybe it's illegal - all the obvious things a smart OP already thought of.

Good luck?

Back