Has this happened to you while kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afr0byte

Reaction score
I have a guess for the cause of my problem, but I wanted to see if others may have encountered this problem. The other night I noticed my beer had less carbonation than it had the night previous. I remembered that I'd had my gauge freeze at one point, so I added a piece of insulation under the CO2 bottle (The CO2 bottle was on the bottom of the chest freezer so I figured it must have caused the gauge to get too cold.) and raised the set temp to 38 (from 35). Sure enough the next day I had much more carbonation. However, my amber ale had basically no hop flavor/aroma anymore?! The beer tasted a bit overcarbed, but not wickedly so (The regulator was at 11 PSI, which should be fine at 38 degrees, but it probably took a bit for the beer to warm up..hence the extra carbonation). My guess is that I somehow scrubbed the aroma/flavor hops out with the CO2? Has anyone had this happen before?

Nope. Nothing similar here.

About the scrubbing thing: that requires a way for the CO2 to actually "escape with the goods" from what is otherwise (and ideally) a closed system. Which is why the phenomenon is usually associated with the effects of primary fermentation - and not kegging...

Cheers!

Back