Has anyone tried to use coconut??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niklaas1212

Reaction score
Alright so I recently received a 5 gallon kit of a coffee porter and have been thinking about trying to add coconut to it. Has anyone had any success with it? And how did you add it? Did you use fruit or extract?

I don't personally have experience with it but I did have a beer by Kona Brewing Co. that I liked that I'm almost positive had coconut in it so it is a valid idea.

Yeah I've been really trying to get my hands on a death by coconut by Oscar blues or the coconut porter by maui but haven't been able to find them

I make a coconut black ipa every year. I toast a pound of shredded organic coconut and put it in the mash. I then take a half pound of shredded organic coconut and add it after primary fermentation is done.

I make a coconut black ipa every year. I toast a pound of shredded organic coconut and put it in the mash. I think take a half pound of shredded organic coconut ad add it after primary fermentation is done.

Thanks !! That's helps a ton, just joined the forum and it's been super helpful so far. Definitely gonna try it now

A friend and I have a coconut porter fermenting right now. We toasted a pound of coconut and added it at flameout in a sack. We toasted another pound and a half and have it in a bag and in the secondary. Makes your fermenter oily for awhile afterwards but tastes darn good.

I make a coconut black ipa every year. I toast a pound of shredded organic coconut and put it in the mash. I think take a half pound of shredded organic coconut ad add it after primary fermentation is done.

Thanks!! I'm new to the forum and it's been super helpful so far. I'm definitely gonna try it now!! Just gotta find some organic shredded coconut. How is it to rack out any problems?

IME, 1lb of toasted coconut isnt gonna do $h!t. I used 3lbs in a coconut porter like a dry hop and it was nice at first, but still faded quickly.

Yeah I've been really trying to get my hands on a death by coconut by Oscar blues or the coconut porter by maui but haven't been able to find them

Death by Coconut is solid, they're stepping up distribution of it to more markets so you may see it around, depending on where you're located. I was supposed to bring a crowler of it back home on my last CO hop, it never made it out of the state...good stuff.

Death by Coconut is solid, they're stepping up distribution of it to more markets so you may see it around, depending on where you're located. I was supposed to bring a crowler of it back home on my last CO hop, it never made it out of the state...good stuff.

Awesome!! Can't wait and I'm around buffalo, we got a little but by the time I found out which was a couple days later when I went to the store they were sold out

Thanks!! I'm new to the forum and it's been super helpful so far. I'm definitely gonna try it now!! Just gotta find some organic shredded coconut. How is it to rack out any problems?

I don't typically have problems but you can always add the coconut to a sanitized mesh bag and add that the the fermenter instead of adding the coconut by itself.

IME, 1lb of toasted coconut isnt gonna do $h!t. I used 3lbs in a coconut porter like a dry hop and it was nice at first, but still faded quickly.

Well, considering Ive made 7 or so batches of my coconut black ipa and did it the exact same each time, 1lb of toasted coconut in the mash and .5lb untoasted after primary fermentation has worked just fine for me.

Just saying.

Yea, I thought his prices including the shipping were pretty good. He also offers some discounts too. The Coconut recipe went well, he could use some editing on his recipes but it's not really a problem after you've done a few. The last order I sent him was a nice one. Several 1G AG recipes and several 3G Extract w/steeping grain recipes. I've now got one 3G recipe left from that order. The others should be carb'd/conditioned soon, I'm looking forward to trying them out.

If anyone else orders from this Hop Hero company, I'd like to hear your opinions. Thanks.

I made a key lime, coconut pale ale this summer and used 1.5 lbs of unsweetened coconut I toasted in the oven until browned. It tasted great and my wife says I need to rebrew it this year.

Well, considering Ive made 7 or so batches of my coconut black ipa and did it the exact same each time, 1lb of toasted coconut in the mash and .5lb untoasted after primary fermentation has worked just fine for me.

Just saying.

Just curious, you have a total of 1.5 lbs. for your batch. Is that a 5 gallon batch? I have a larger system and yield 10 gallons. Thinking of doing a coconut brown ale this weekend.
Thanks!

Back