Has anyone smoked hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
guy at the brew shop said he started doing that when he was beginning to think he was having trouble (in a medical way) knocking up his wife. He said that he started lighting up twice each evening and a week and a half later he succeeded with his task. He said that it made him horribly sick and she wouldn't go near him until the next morning, but he believed it worked.

I was simultaneously horribly uncomfortable and biting my tongue to keep from laughing as he told the story. Who shares that kind of thing?

May none of us ever have to attempt this.

guy at the brew shop said he started doing that when he was beginning to think he was having trouble (in a medical way) knocking up his wife. He said that he started lighting up twice each evening and a week and a half later he succeeded with his task. He said that it made him horribly sick and she wouldn't go near him until the next morning, but he believed it worked.

I was simultaneously horribly uncomfortable and biting my tongue to keep from laughing as he told the story. Who shares that kind of thing?

so let me get this straight, he smoked the hops, but his wife wouldn't go near him, and then she was pregnant...:confused:

I usually smoke them at around 200°, turning every 2 hours or so. I find that mesquite is the best wood for smoking most varieties of hops.

Ironically I "thought" that was what this thread was about , adding some "smokey goodness" :mug:

I've been thinking some apple/cherry mix would be nice

Wha?? I'd really like to know the train of thought that led from "fertility trouble" to "I'll just smoke some hops".

I usually smoke them at around 200°, turning every 2 hours or so. I find that mesquite is the best wood for smoking most varieties of hops.

That's where I thought this was really going. A local brewpub actually does offer hops smoked pork belly.

@fantomlord @jimbobbillyray @drainbamage

I never said the guy looked particularly smart. If he hadn't been wearing a wedding ring I would have doubted that he was even married.

m6fa7[1].jpg

Well, I don't think it matters if it is a pipe, joint, bong, gravity bong, vaporizer, or any number of methods. The bottom line is if you try to smoke hops, all ya get is a sore throat. A seriously sore f*ckin throat! SO DON'T! It is silly, especially when there are other plants out there that will do the trick.

Well, I don't think it matters if it is a pipe, joint, bong, gravity bong, vaporizer, or any number of methods. The bottom line is if you try to smoke hops, all ya get is a sore throat. A seriously sore f*ckin throat! SO DON'T! It is silly, especially when there are other plants out there that will do the trick.

Asparagus?

Stay in school kids. Dont smoke hops (especially since you will never ever get high off them).
Actually really sad to see the lack of understanding behind smoking hops. Hops are usually used as a naturopathic medicine for sleep, depression, or even anxiety. Usually it’s mixed with other blends(lavender damania, skullcap) but it’s perfectly fine to smoke it. It doesn’t really get you high but it does give you a really nice feeling in your temples and it helps to make you sleepy. If you’re not interested in medication it’s a great alternative. I personally am not a big fan of big Pharma and resort to naturopathic medicine.I smoke hops for anxiety and for sleep since I have insomnia. For my depression and I use St. John’s wort. Using natural pathic remedies have been dated back to neolithic man and I think it’s a really great thing to live off of the things that just come from the earth naturally. Everyone has different responses to naturopathic medicine the same way everyone has different responses to pills or even antidepressants but they don’t make you violently sick or anything. As long as you use a pipe for herbs you’ll be completely fine smoking hops or any other herbs(there are different ways that you should prepare different herbs for ingestion so that you can get the most out of your naturopathic medicine). Again I want to say smoking or ingesting hops is completely safe, even making it into a tea. it’s also a great alternative for people who are trying to stop smoking weed. Yeah LOL I don’t know but seriously it’s a really great alternative so if you struggle with sleep, anxiety, or depression feel free to ask a naturopathic doctor and light up!

Actually really sad to see the lack of understanding behind smoking hops. Hops are usually used as a naturopathic medicine for sleep, depression, or even anxiety. Usually it’s mixed with other blends(lavender damania, skullcap) but it’s perfectly fine to smoke it. It doesn’t really get you high but it does give you a really nice feeling in your temples and it helps to make you sleepy. If you’re not interested in medication it’s a great alternative. I personally am not a big fan of big Pharma and resort to naturopathic medicine.I smoke hops for anxiety and for sleep since I have insomnia. For my depression and I use St. John’s wort. Using natural pathic remedies have been dated back to neolithic man and I think it’s a really great thing to live off of the things that just come from the earth naturally. Everyone has different responses to naturopathic medicine the same way everyone has different responses to pills or even antidepressants but they don’t make you violently sick or anything. As long as you use a pipe for herbs you’ll be completely fine smoking hops or any other herbs(there are different ways that you should prepare different herbs for ingestion so that you can get the most out of your naturopathic medicine). Again I want to say smoking or ingesting hops is completely safe, even making it into a tea. it’s also a great alternative for people who are trying to stop smoking weed. Yeah LOL I don’t know but seriously it’s a really great alternative so if you struggle with sleep, anxiety, or depression feel free to ask a naturopathic doctor and light up!

@TxBrew, is that you?

Me too, Billy berry puncher. I remember kidding to him about making him the official HBT "enforcer" and he asked me what the job required. He was legit.

I can't recall any one particular interaction Berry Puncher and I had, I would just see him going about his business around here being awesome.

Back