Has anyone had this problem with Winware kettles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxbob

Reaction score
A little under two years ago when I was stepping up to all-grain, I decided on the Winware Stainless Steel 60-quart stock pot:
(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AS81CA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20)

It's been great up until my brew day today. But all of a sudden, when the wort is got close to boiling, the pot began to leak out of the seam that attaches the base of the pot to the body. I managed to complete my boil (the leaks slowed a bit as the wort caramelized and plugged the gaps), but unless I can figure out what's going on and whether this can be fixed, I think I'm out a $150 pot. The inside shows no signs of any cracks, gaps, holes or leaks whatsoever.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is the pot salvageable?

Thanks,
Bob

photo-2-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Contact the manufacturer with those pics.
Then try Amazon.
Then check the credit card you used to see if you get extra protection on purchases (many do).

Yep - it actually turned out much better than I expected. I'd installed a sight glass from brewhardware.com some time previously, and the connection between it and the pot had apparently started leaking a bit (probably due to me drilling the hole 1/16" too large). The leaked wort accumulated in the seam in the photo, and when the pot got hot, it boiled out and looked like a leak.

I ended up contacting brewhardware.com, and Bobby was awesome and machined me a new slightly larger connection at no charge, which stopped the leak and solved the problem. Can't recommend the fantastic customer service at brewhardware.com enough - talk about standing behind your products!

Back