Has anyone had their FG go UP after DH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiSoloII

Splitting the beer atom since 1996
Reaction score
I've got quite a few batches under my belt. I just did a clone of Surly Furious. When I racked from primary to seconday after 2 weeks, I read a specific gravity of 1.013. After 7 days of dry hopping with 3 ounces of hops, I kegged/bottled with an as-measured FG of 1.018!!!

I did squeeze the mesh bag I used, just a bit, at 5 days. I was actually trying to get it out of the carboy - somewhat dumb move....

I have only dry hopped 5 or 6 batches, and never with this many hops. I can't believe I totally misread my balling gauge/hydrometer twice, but I guess it is possible. This was using 2 carboys for 12 gallons of brew, and I measured both - saw the same thing in both.

Anyone else ever seen this happen? Maybe some of the hop oils added to the SG?

Damn, it tastes good, though. Never used this many hops before. :rockin:
Dave

Is it possible there was a temperature change in that week? Maybe the gravity is the same but the change in beer temperature is giving you different readings.

Probably not temperature, these have been in the basement. Stays pretty constant down there this time of year. Goes up a bit in summer, down a bit further in winter.

Assuming a five gallon batch, a five point FG increase translates to 5/46 ppg x 5 gallons or roughly 1/9th of a pound of sugar times 5 or 5/9 of a pound of sugar. So you'd need to add over 8 ounces of sugar to get a 5 point increase on purpose. Hard to hide 8 oz sugar in 3 oz of dry hops. Sounds like a measurement error to me.

After a bit more conditioning, I'll pour some into the tube and measure. Just thought I'd see if anyone had seen this?

Latest posts

Back