Has anyone ever sucked star san into their fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rain164845

Reaction score
I think I may have sucked anywhere from a teaspoon to a tablespoon of Starsan out of my airlock and into the fermenter. This was right after pitching the yeast. The top on the bucket had flex in it and when I let off, it created a vacuum and sucked it right in. It might not have been that much but I have no idea.

Joe

Yeah, I just worried about it killing the yeast. By the time you dilute that much into 5 gallons, I'm sure it amounts to almost nothing, but I figured I would ask.

Thanks!

No worries, it's fine. It's a small amount overall, and it's a no-rinse sanitizer anyway so you already probably end up getting quite a bit into your beer as it is. But ultimately it's supposed to even turn into yeast food when it breaks down.

If you have a bottle of cheap vodka sitting around you can use that in your airlock as well. Kills the nasty bugs, but if it gets sucked in it's just a few more drops of alcohol.

It's harmless. You could have poured the whole airlock full of star san into the beer with no ill effects.

Back