Has anyone ever made an IPA with no bittering hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekhna

Reaction score
Just straight up FHWing, late additions and hopback? Might give that a try soon with a friend. Any experiences?

I've not done one yet but some will do a hop bomb IPA where you put all hop additions in at the 20 minute mark. You get enough bitterness from the 20 min boil if you are throwing a crapton of hops in there.

I've done an IPA with all the hops in the last 30 minutes calculated IBU's still came out to 65.

It has huge hop flavor, maybe even too much for the amount of bitterness. But that might just be cause my hop choice was on the citrus side.

I just tapped a keg of 20 minute IPA. 5 ounces of simcoe, 2 ounces of crystal and 2 ounces of centennial were added continuously starting with 20 minutes left in the boil. The hop flavor is ridiculous... astronomical... any number of adjectives. It's like drinking a glass of floral, fruity hop nectar.

I wouldn't normally use 9 ounces in the kettle but the hops were left over from dry hopping 10 gallons of Maharaja clone, so I figured why waste 'em. ;)

I did an IPA with FWH, 30 minute, and late additions that turned out nicely. No hopback, since I use an immersion chiller. I dry hopped and oaked it too, and it turned out delicious. In fact, the keg's nearly dead.

Incidentally, it was a fairly offbeat hop schedule: Lots of Sorachi Ace, including an addition of Sorachi at flameout. It did not turn out to be lemon pledge, just citrusy and hoppy.

Recipe here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/cry-havoc-ipa-experiment-95180/#post1042856

Back