Has anyone done a smoked roggenbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soviet

Reaction score
The recipe would look something like:

3.5 lbs Munich
6.5 lbs Rye Malt
1.0 lb Caramunich
1.0 Rauchmalz

1.0 z Saaz @ 60 min
.50 Saaz @ 10 min

Wyeast 3068 Weinstephan

This is based off the Brewing Classic Styles Roggenbier...Do you think the smoked malt will work with spicyness of the rye and the hops?

Give me your suggestions on how to change it...

I'd been wanting to combine rye and smoke for a while and recently had a stash of leftover ingredients to create a Frankenstein smoked rye. It won't get officially tapped for another week but the samples had a good rye flavor and the small amount of smoked malt definitely took a back seat but they blended together well as flavor compliments to the Tettnanger Hops and overall beer. Mine is definitely not a full on roggenbier though, but the flavor profile should be similar. Interested to hear how yours turns out.

My recipe:

PM:
2 Row - 2.5 lbs
Rye Malt - 1.5 lbs
Smoked Malt - .5 lbs
Vienna - 1 lbs

Pils LME - 4 lbs

Tettnanger .9oz @ 60
Tettnanger .75oz @ 30
Tettnanger .75oz @ Flame Out

WL German Ale / Kolsch

Looks like a very interesting recipe. If you have never worked with rye this recipe could be a bit of a challange. The rye flavor will be notable in the recipe at the % that is included. The problem is that you will also have a stuck sparge more than likely. I would suggest 1/2 lb rice hulls and a batch sparge which should avoid the problem. Also make sure that you use rauch malt (alder smoked german). Do not use pete smoked malt or it will overpower the rye which is pretty delicate anyway. The hops are obviously formulated for a rogen and will not be distinct in the final brew which is in accordance with style.

Back