Has anyone BIAB's a Brooklyn Beer Shop Mix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
This is an option that I am considering for future brews of my Brooklyn Brew Shop mixes; I checked the first three pages of this forum and didn't see topics about it, so I figured I'd start a new one.

I assume that there are some key differences between BIAB with a 5-gallon batch and BIAB with a 1-gallon batch, and possibly some issues that are relevant to BBS kits, so with that, I have a few questions that I hope you can answer regarding BIAB with a BBS mix:

a) Advantages and/or disadvantages to BIAB with the BBS kit?
b) Is an 8-quart SS stock pot sufficient?
c) What all is needed to give this a shot?
d) Is there a link to (or can someone post here) a step-by-step procedure for a 1-gallon batch that would be relevant to the BBS?

Thanks in advance -

Ron

This is an option that I am considering for future brews of my Brooklyn Brew Shop mixes; I checked the first three pages of this forum and didn't see topics about it, so I figured I'd start a new one.

I assume that there are some key differences between BIAB with a 5-gallon batch and BIAB with a 1-gallon batch, and possibly some issues that are relevant to BBS kits, so with that, I have a few questions that I hope you can answer regarding BIAB with a BBS mix:

a) Advantages and/or disadvantages to BIAB with the BBS kit?
b) Is an 8-quart SS stock pot sufficient?
c) What all is needed to give this a shot?
d) Is there a link to (or can someone post here) a step-by-step procedure for a 1-gallon batch that would be relevant to the BBS?

Thanks in advance -

Ron

I haven't done one of their kits, but I do 1 gal BIAB often. Are you scaling down from 5 or just getting started?

a) I think ALL BBS kits are BIAB, so I'm not sure how to quantify pro/con (vs. what alternative?)
b) You can probably use an 8 quart pot, though its tight, and I always used 12, and still had an occasional boilover. But I like to do a thin full-volume mash no sparge. I think BBS's instructions have you mash and separately sparge.

c) and d) -> Search for the 'one gallon brewers UNITE' thread. Pack a lunch :)

Hi, EJay, and thanks for the reply.

Here's a link to a quick video (about 2 minutes) summarising the BBS procedure:

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/instructions

If I have my jargon down correctly, it is a separate mash and sparge with no bag involved. The pros and cons I'm looking for would be for BIAB vs. doing it as the instructions outline.

I read the first few pages of the "unite" thread - lovin' it so far!

I did one of the BBS recipes out of their book as BIAB. I wish I would have done it no sparge but overall it was just fine to do it as BIAB instead of the oatmeal style as the BBS instructions suggest.

i would not call this process Brew In A Bag..where's the bag..

G'day, DU99 - that's my question: would it be advantageous to adapt my brewing of these kits to BIAB?

chrishanson said:
I did one of the BBS recipes out of their book as BIAB. I wish I would have done it no sparge but overall it was just fine to do it as BIAB instead of the oatmeal style as the BBS instructions suggest.

Hi, Chris - I know nothing about the process of brewing in a bag, but I get the general idea. Would you be able to describe how you went about it?

Hi, EJay, and thanks for the reply.

Here's a link to a quick video (about 2 minutes) summarising the BBS procedure:

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/instructions

If I have my jargon down correctly, it is a separate mash and sparge with no bag involved. The pros and cons I'm looking for would be for BIAB vs. doing it as the instructions outline.

I read the first few pages of the "unite" thread - lovin' it so far!

I stand corrected - I had thought their method was BIAB. In this case their bag is the strainer. I guess i should have looked before I posted. Either method should work just fine.

Back