Has any one used the new experimental hops from YVH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashinary

Reaction score
Hi there. Wondering if anyone has used the experimental hops YVH has for sale? I'm putting in an order for some of the Genghis Hop... The others look pretty interesting.

It's frustrating that many of those have no description at all. It's almost like they are afraid to describe them. For instance, HBC 431 - how do they expect to sell those at all? They don't even report their acid level!

Then HBC 682 is described as a super high acid hop, but no AA!

I have a pound of Genghis and was looking for info as well, this is all I have found

• It was developed by Jackson Farms in Idaho,
  • The same group that made Idaho 7 (007: The Golden Hop)
  • Genghis hops is also called Idaho #6
Grain and Grape states
"Like most un-named experimental hop varieties there isn't much in the way of information regarding this particular variety (#6) but it is said to be a good IPA hop, dank and very bold, in the Columbus spectrum."

BeerCo.com.au says
"This hop also has an intense fruitiness and higher alpha acids suitable for hop forward American style Ales with signature style characters of US IPA."

https://crosbyhops.com/what-we-offer-2/domestic-hops/
Apparently there is a Idaho #4 and #5

It's frustrating that many of those have no description at all. It's almost like they are afraid to describe them. For instance, HBC 431 - how do they expect to sell those at all? They don't even report their acid level!

Then HBC 682 is described as a super high acid hop, but no AA!
Looks like they've updated.
Screen%20Shot%202017-04-03%20at%204.26.13%20PM.png

I ordered bru-1, Genghis, and HBC 472. Bru-1 went into a session NEIPA with galaxy and equinox that's being kegged tomorrow. It smells heavenly. The HBC 472 went into a black IPA I brewed Sunday, that's fermenting right now. Still haven't decided on the Genghis. If it's along the lines of Columbus, maybe I'll brew a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone and use it for that.

Spoke to the Creator of of Idaho 6 (Genghis hop as sold by Yakima Farms) He was at the Crosby Farms booth At CBC.

Idaho 6 has been canceled due to Poor yields. I still have not used the pound I have but it looks like it will be a one off.

I bought at least 8 oz each of Bru-1, Genghis, Exp Tangerine, Exp Stonefruit, Green Machine, and HBC 431. Bru-1 is amazing with Citra in a Rye IPA. I have not brewed with the rest yet, but will post once I do.

I ordered bru-1, Genghis, and HBC 472. Bru-1 went into a session NEIPA with galaxy and equinox that's being kegged tomorrow. It smells heavenly. The HBC 472 went into a black IPA I brewed Sunday, that's fermenting right now. Still haven't decided on the Genghis. If it's along the lines of Columbus, maybe I'll brew a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone and use it for that.
Do you have any tasting notes on the HBC472?

I used bru 1 and EXP stone fruit in the mad fermentationists version of the mango hopsicle. They are both great hops and that beer was a huge hit with my friends. I have a lot of bru-1 left but it has a really high AA so I don't think it will be going fast. I plan to use some for dry hopping in a NEIPA paired with el dorado. I would definitely get more stone fruit hops though. They have a peachy aroma that goes well with WY1318.

I brewed a NEIPA/1318 primary in Feb that I blended with a really tart base from YB Melange to make a tart IPA. Just dry hopped with 4oz of BRU-1 and the aroma from the fermenter is straight huge fantastic juicy fruit gum. I have some Exp Stone Fruit I'm just waiting on the right beer.

Do you have any tasting notes on the HBC472?

It was a very, very interesting IPA. It was OK at first - nothing amazing. You could see where they got the bourbon/oak notes in the flavor description from. However, I left for about three weeks, and when I came back the beer was absolutely amazing. The citra melded with the roasty flavors from the carafa III and the crazy hop flavors from HBC472 and made a really interesting beer. I don't even know how to describe it, but it's definitely something I would use again.

I'm not convinced it would be great in a standard IPA, to be honest. However, in the right situations it is probably delicious.

Great info. I purchased them with the intent to use them in a 10% oatmeal/sweet stout hybrid that does great at festivals. It's normally heavily hopped with all EKG. Do you think a balanced approach to hopping with these with 472 would work in this beer?

It was a very, very interesting IPA. It was OK at first - nothing amazing. You could see where they got the bourbon/oak notes in the flavor description from. However, I left for about three weeks, and when I came back the beer was absolutely amazing. The citra melded with the roasty flavors from the carafa III and the crazy hop flavors from HBC472 and made a really interesting beer. I don't even know how to describe it, but it's definitely something I would use again.

I'm not convinced it would be great in a standard IPA, to be honest. However, in the right situations it is probably delicious.
Great info. I purchased them with the intent to use them in a 10% oatmeal/sweet stout hybrid that does great at festivals. It's normally heavily hopped with all EKG. Do you think a balanced approach to hopping with these with 472 would work in this beer?

I know this is an old post, but I’m just wondering what you mean when you say you left it. Did you leave it in in the fermenter, bottles or a keg for 3 weeks? If bottles, do you think I could replicate the flavors you got by letting it condition for extra time in the fermenter, or in the keg since I’m not bottling.
Also, did you dry hop it, use it as a late addition or both? Thanks!

I know this is an old post, but I’m just wondering what you mean when you say you left it. Did you leave it in in the fermenter, bottles or a keg for 3 weeks? If bottles, do you think I could replicate the flavors you got by letting it condition for extra time in the fermenter, or in the keg since I’m not bottling.
Also, did you dry hop it, use it as a late addition or both? Thanks!
Vance hasn't been on since August so he probably won't answer, but I can practically guarantee that he was talking about bottles or keg. Either would work the same since a keg is just a giant bottle. There are a lot of other variables to consider so you might not be able to replicate his results but it doesn't hurt to try.

Vance hasn't been on since August so he probably won't answer, but I can practically guarantee that he was talking about bottles or keg. Either would work the same since a keg is just a giant bottle. There are a lot of other variables to consider so you might not be able to replicate his results but it doesn't hurt to try.

Totally. Wondering whether or not it was bottles at room temp, or keg at a serving temp. Just because I would wonder if that would be a factor, one way or the other for its maturity process.
My thought would be that perhaps it would change and evolve more if it were conditioning in a yeast friendly environment. Otherwise, I guess it could be a slow fading of the hops intensity in the essentially perpetual cold-crashed state... or something entirely different! [emoji848]
Coming at it from a Brülosophy angle, after having binged on a bunch of their podcasts with their exBEERiments

Back