Harvesting Yeast - is trub bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aidan

Reaction score
When I harvested yeast from my last batch I did not get good seperation between the yeast and trub so now my jars of stored yeast also contain some trub. Is this a problem?

What strain of yeast was it? You could always try washing it again, or just make a starter with some and cold crash it, then decant the wort. Maybe that would help clean it up..

This is what i feel if a yeast is like that,when you are adding it to your preboiled water,pour off what is floating into another perboiled water jar-sooner,because i had the same thing it didnt really seperate.But i experimented and did this and got a more minute layer,which i think i will need to make a starter for because of a smaller thin layer which seems to be more logical to think is pure yeast.

What strain of yeast was it? You could always try washing it again, or just make a starter with some and cold crash it, then decant the wort. Maybe that would help clean it up..

It's US05.

Just wondering in general if there is a need to seperate the trub from the saved yeast?

It's US05.

Just wondering in general if there is a need to seperate the trub from the saved yeast?

It's best to wash it as good as possible, but some amount of trub will usually always be mixed in. You don't have to totally seperate it to reuse it. Like I said in my earlier post, it would be best to make a starter with some when you plan to pitch it. Then crash it and decant the wort before pitching, which will possibly help clean it up a bit more..

Can i ask a question? why save it? yeast is cheap enough. Is there a reason behind this pratice? Curious minds want to know :)

slap packs up here are around 8 bucks a pop. that's 16 bucks in yeast for my 10 gal of pale ale I make once a month. You can see how the cost goes down quickly.

Yeast can be expensive if you are brewing every weekend or so. and if you have many different types of beer you might want many different strains on hand. look up yeast washing. you can get many generations out of a pack

I re use yeast, too. Especially for bigger beers. If I pitch a 2L starter made with one pack of yeast into a beer, when it's done I have the equivalent of about 5-6 packs of yeast, if not more, waiting to be put to work. That's a great time to brew a RIS or something. Or collect the yeast and wash it then separate it into 2-3 jars, each good enough for a moderate gravity beer.

Can i ask a question? why save it? yeast is cheap enough. Is there a reason behind this pratice? Curious minds want to know :)

Even though US05 is an inexpensive dried yeast it still costs about $6 a pack here in NZ, 15-20% the cost of a typical batch, so worth keeping to me. Interestingly, I've also read that US05 is actually better in the second generation than straight from the pack.

Back